Jambands.ca

Neil Never Fails

secondtube

This review will not be as long as my last Neil show, mainly cause I have a meeting in less than 20 minutes.

So it was John Labatt Centre. I had been there in the past with TimmyB for David Bowie. I remember the sound being good in the venue.

Showed up straight from work, and proceeded to Lot Party by myself. Primed for the show in less than 2 hours, i went in ready to rock!

Everest was just finishing up...seen them twice, that was enough. If Wilco was opening, i'd have been there (i built a major appreciation for them during the 2nd ACC show, where i was right up front).

Rather than song by song details, which make most fall asleep, i'll just mention my highlights.

When you Dance to open? I knew he wasn't playing the same setlist! Are you ready for the country? Another first for me. The beginning to Everybody Knows, for the first 10 seconds or so, was awesome. Totally rearranged. Then Neil stopped - Guess the rearrangement wasn't planned, lol. I thought it sounded great.

Pocohontas, another first. I love the way Neil is playing it these days with the driving bass beats to mimmick war drums.

Words! Noticed they played it in the Cortez spot. GREAT! I've seen enough Cortez's ... but only my second Words...and the first was at my first Neil show ever...so, its been a while. (i havent' seen 40 something neil shows like our friend mr B, but i'm over 20 something)

Light A Candle was going to be a show highlight until they started strumming the oh so familiar Big Cypress Midnight to Sunrise Jam Chords of Mr Neil.

Albuquerque!!!!!! Highlight X 1000000

In my head I could hear trey singing it, and when i closed my eyes, i felt back at big cypress. So beautifully played.

Probably next to the Ambulance Blues at Massey, my single favorite Neil Young Moment. Pure Bliss.

All Along the Watchtower to close was also a first. I was just glad I didn't get another Day in the Life to close; not that there's anything wrong with that song.

Overall, due to a couple of key songs, they show ranked up rather high.

Was it as good as the previous two ACC shows, or the previous three Massey Hall shows....probably not.

But Neil played for 2.5 hours, 23 songs, including at least four "old songs" that were firsts, and of course, a few new songs that i hadn't heard.

So thats 3 shows in 2007, 2 in 2008, and 1 in 2009. Will Neil ever give up. I SURE HOPE NOT!

Sounds like it was a great time. Got an email from my buddy who used my tickets for last night. He said they had a blast.

04-15-2009, John Labatt Centre, London, Ontario, Canada

Neil Young & His Electric Band

1. When You Dance I Can Really Love

2. Hey Hey, My My (Into The Black)

3. Are You Ready For The Country?

4. Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere

5. Spirit Road

6. Pocahontas

7. Words

8. Cinnamon Girl

9. Mother Earth

10. Change Your Mind

11. The Needle And The Damage Done

12. Light A Candle

13. Feel Your Love

14. Heart Of Gold

15. Old Man

16. Speakin' Out

17. Tonight's The Night

18. Albuquerque

19. Get Behind The Wheel

20. Down By The River

21. Just Singing A Song

---

22. All Along The Watchtower

there was a song near the end, or maybe mid way, that they played the first 10 seconds of, i didn't recognize it.

had a strong drum intro.

then neil says, nah, i'd rather not play this one.

and started another. can't remember which one...as i dont take concert notes at the show.

You have to be careful parking on the streets in London. It's illegal to park on any city street between some crazy hours - like 2am and 6am or something like that - so if you're ever in the city for something that runs late, be sure you're in a lot. You won't see signs everywhere telling you this, either - just one each on the roads leading into the city, which are hard to read when you're cruising along at 80 km/hr.