Jambands.ca

Don Ross show saturday

snarfmaster C

quote:

who and where is Don Ross C?

October 17-19th is the annual Don Ross Guitar Weekend, which consists of a bunch of intimate workshops, clinics, jams and parties with Don himself, at his house in Cannington, Ontario (about 90 min. northeast of Toronto). Registration is limited to 15 guitarists, and its $450

Saturday night (Oct 18th) Don Ross is doing a double bill with British guitar legend Martin Carthy (the guest guitarist for the weekend). The show will take place at the Trinity United Church in Cannington and is open to the public. $18.

Check out Don Ross's website right here!

Don Ross plays heavy acoustic fingerstyle guitar, very fast and technical. Some call his music "heavy wood" - sort of like heavy metal applied to the acoustic guitar. He is absolutely amazing!!

Here's what Don posted on his Yahoo group message board about the show Saturday:

Next week, as part of the Don Ross Cannington Guitar Weekend, I'll be doing a double bill with British guitar legend Martin Carthy. The show will take place at the Trinity United Church in

Cannington. Ontario. Tix are $18 and can be ordered by calling Jingles in Cannington at 705.432.3330 or the Interesting Music Shoppe in Wilfrid at 705.437.4495. To get to Cannington, take highway 401 to Oshawa (40 minutes east of Toronto), and take the Simcoe Street exit. Follow Simcoe Street north about 40 minutes to just north of the hamlet of Manilla (at highway 7). 5

minutes north of Manilla, you'll see a sign pointing to the left for Cannington. Follow that main road into the village and then turn right at Laidlaw Street. The church looms large on the left (west) side of the street.

Here ya go Smelly... It was AMAZING!!! Never in my life have I seen such a talented guitarist -- blew everyone else (I've ever seen) away. The show was in Don's tiny hometown of Cannington, about an hour west of Peterborough, with Lindsay being the half-way point. The show was at Trinity United Church, as there are no actual venues in town. The town is tiny, no places for accomodation or anything. Don's manager (?) who is also a guitarist opened with a few songs, then UK folkie/guitarist Martin Carthy played a set. Both were really good, with Martin playing lots of Scottish ditties with complex finger picking on the acoustic. He was a funny performer, with this hilarious head-nod at the end of every song.

Don Ross played a variety of songs from his catalogue, usually prefaced with a lengthy intro as he tuned the guitar to his liking. Don Ross plays nearly every song in a different tuning, some very strange. He seemed to find pleasure in making fun of standard tuning. He only sang on about 3 tunes, as he had caught a bit of a cold. I couldn't believe some of the shit he was doing on that acoustic!!! Unbelievable I tell ya. Most of the crowd in the pews seemed to be aging locals looking for a good time, but there was a strong contingent of guitar geeks and Ross Heads too.

Velvet - Earthfreak mentioned to Don after the show that you said hello and he said hello back, and mentioned that he will be touring in some kind of quartet in the near future and you should call him about it.

Phish Stick --- where the hell were ya?? We couldn't track you down!

kevo - i was at a jam all day and i didnt have caroline's number, and after a while i just plain old forgot . . . i do that sometimes. i didnt have any $$ anyways so I wouldnt have been able to go, im glad you guys had a good time though. ive already seen him a 4 or 5 times before, so unfortunately i know exactly what i missed out on.

Archived