Jambands.ca

HURON July Ontario run (Hammer, TO, Ottawa, more)(riff/psych/Southern-rock)

TheGoodRev

Dud/ettes,

I'm in a band called Huron, we have been labouring over our first record and are pretty much done. It was produced by none other than Sir Ian Blurton, a venerable Canadian indie-rock legend who has fronted Change of Heart, Blurtonia and C'mon, played guitar in Bionic, and produced everybody from the Rheostatics and Skydiggers to Amy Millan and the Weakerthans. He is a god.

The record is a mess of old-school influences; when people ask us what we sound like, my lazy answer is "Big Star meets Black Sabbath". But the truth is there are a lot of other things going on, including a heavy dose of Floyd/Dead-informed psych, Allmans-style guitar harmony, and Band-style vocal harmony. It will be released for your listening pleasure in the fall, and so to gear up and get our chops together after spending months in the studio, we're embarking on an 8-night Southern Ontario run beginning next week. Here are the dates:

08 July Casbah, Hamilton

09 July El Mocambo, Toronto

10 July Black Shire, London

11 July Wally's, Guelph

15 July Irene's, Ottawa (KISS afterparty)

16 July Montreal House, Peterborough

17 July Red Rooster, Burlington

18 July Coach & Horses, Windsor

Joining us on all the dates will be a fantastic band from Burlington, Sandman Viper Command (http://www.myspace.com/sandmanvipercommand). Their first record is now out and it's pretty awesome, I call them "Thrush Hermit stuck in a beautiful Abbey Road rut".

I would love to see some of you skanks out at the shows. It's worth noting that in Ottawa, I'll be playing an 8pm set with Tom Wilson's new project Lee Harvey Osmond at the Bluesfest Hard Rock Cafe stage. My buddies in Arkells are playing at 6pm over at the Rogers stage. KISS is playing at 9:30 at the Bank of America stage, and Sandman Viper Command will start at Irene's sometime around 10:30, with Huron to follow.

Come on out if you can!

www.huronmusic.ca

Right on dudes, you rule.

Hey, so, I went and bought a new cabinet...and also a Leslie. Hoping they'll both make the trip with me.

riggrg.jpg

On the left we have my long-time 74 Traynor YBA MkII head, perched atop my latest acquisition, a 67-71 style Traynor YT10 that was modded at some point to include a single 15" speaker on the bottom and retain two of the original four 10" speakers. So, 1x15" and 2x10" in the same cab. I'm in love.

Next to that is a Cordovox CL30, basically a rebranded Fender Vibratone/Leslie 16. Also sounding awesome.

Like I say, haven't tried to load the van yet. Hope they both fit. Even if not though...there will be rock.

Bumpin it up to say we're pumped to be headed to Ottawa tomorrow morn! Lee Harvey Osmond at Hard Rock Cafe stage, 8pm; afterparty at Irene's with Sandman Viper Command and Huron! Come on you Ottawa skanks, I haven't seen most of you in years; actually I've never met most of you. Git on down to the shows, wouldja?

That question requires a complicated answer, Bradley...

I played a bunch of steel on the Huron record. Though I have before, I usually don't bring the steel to Huron gigs because I'm already hauling a foolishly large rig. However my Bluesfest set with Lee Harvey Osmond tomorrow will see me splitting my time between steel and guitar, so my steel rig will be with me as well (we're actually towing a trailer to accomodate it all)...whether the steel makes it to Irene's or not will be a matter of logistics.

Now I'm off to bed as I have an early load-in tomorrow in your fine city. See you tomorrow Brad, and all you other fine Ottawa skanks!