Jambands.ca

Some guitar help please?

Jakis

I have been playing guitar for a few months now. I am alright at some chords and picking but cant here the strumming patterns at all. anyone guitar players have any tips to learn this or no of a good website. Also anyone know of any good guitar teachers in Ottawa.

Thanks

sometimes i tell my students to try clapping out the strumming patterns....if your not very good at doing the chords yet, your concentrating on too much at once, try doing the timing seperately

I teach guitar, but I'm a long ways from ottawa(about 6 hours)...but if you have any questions I'll try to help, try emailing me at fettesfx@kwic.com ....also a good website for guitar instruction is www.wholenote.com check the lessons section, you can play along with midi files and slow down the speed and work your way up...its got lots of other stuff too, but the lessons got me hooked, there thousands and all different styles

Keep your right hand moving. A lot about good rhythm is the art of missing the strings. Git yet right hand moving consistent and nonstop, like a pendulum and tap yer foot on every downstroke (every four foot taps is a 4/4 bar; 1, 2, 3, 4, 1, 2, 3, 4, etc.) so your foot follows your hand; when yer foot is going down, so is your hand. When your foot is going up, your hand is too. Hint: don't bail on the foot thing, even if it seems to make it harder at first. It's important, and you'll thank me later.

The standard campfire strumming pattern goes down, down up, up down up, implying that you end up missing the strings twice. So, git yer hand and foot a-flappin' and do this:

down miss down up miss up down up

1 & 2 & 3 & 4 &

and repeat without stopping. (edited to say that I had cleverly lined up the 1&2&3&4& nice and evenly underneath the down/miss/up things. Imagine it nice and lined up pretty-like)

Badda-bing, you're a busker.

As one who has taught at several places around town, I give my highest recommendations to the teachers at the Ottawa Folklore Centre. Just go in and find a teacher that has a spot when you can make it, all the guitar teachers there are solid. See if Doug has a spot, he's great.

Whenever I meet someone who is teaching themselves an instrument I ask them if their teacher is any good. Don't put it off, get lessons.

Music makes the world a better place, we need you.

quote:

Originally posted by fretman:

sometimes i tell my students to try clapping out the strumming patterns....if your not very good at doing the chords yet, your concentrating on too much at once, try doing the timing seperately

I teach guitar, but I'm a long ways from ottawa(about 6 hours)...but if you have any questions I'll try to help, try emailing me at fettesfx@kwic.com ....also a good website for guitar instruction is
check the lessons section, you can play along with midi files and slow down the speed and work your way up...its got lots of other stuff too, but the lessons got me hooked, there thousands and all different styles

Brian? Is that you?

It's been a long time, man. Let's jam!

-Bill M

quote:

Originally posted by Low Roller:

Hey! I had to pay for that advice from Velvetta!
[Mad]

[Wink]

You should've just asked him if you could come over and jam. I did, and learned quite a lot (like the chords to "Autumn Leaves" and to be careful when fingering maj7 chords).

Aloha,

Brad

[/qb]Brian? Is that you?

It's been a long time, man. Let's jam!

-Bill M [/qb]

Yeah, it is me .... is this Bill from that Neil Young tribute band in Dover(Harvest)?

it has been a long time...we should definatley jam, the last time we jammed was before i went to college, i would say about 1992...maybe we can even play the boardgame "Pass Out" after

oh yeah, man. its me.

i did that Neil Young thing off and on for many years.

On the up side: I learned ALOT of Neil Young songs...

On the down side: I learned ALOT of Neil Young songs...

...and I STILL have the 25th aniversary addition of 'pass-out' in the closet. hasn't been out for a while...

contact me thru the band website.. www.6ftgroove.com and we'll hook up.

Archived