Jambands.ca

Bela Fleck @ Luminato in Toronto

bradm

http://www.luminato.com/2010/events/132

The schedule for the night of June 12 looks pretty cool:

6:30 pm - Mr. Something Something (Canada)

7:30 pm - Tony Allen (Nigeria)

9:00 pm - Bela Fleck / The Africa Project (USA) featuring Bassekou Kouyate & Ngoni ba (Mali)

Tony Allen was Fela Kuti's drummer from 1968 - 1979.

Without Tony Allen, there would be no Afrobeat.
[Tony Allen is] perhaps the greatest drummer who has ever lived.

I know the Mr. Something Something guys are charged up to be opening up for him (and Bela), so this should be a great evening. I wish I were in Toronto for it.

Aloha,

Brad

Mr. Something Something did not end up performing due to the rain delay earlier in the day, but Tony Allen's set was fab! Bela Fleck and the African Project were AMAZING......AND the rain held off for the remainder of the night. If you have not had the opportunity to check out this project Bela's involved with......do so before it's over.....you will NOT regret it.

That was a GREAT night of Music!!!

Tony Allen and his band were great!

Bela and The Africa Project (USA) featuring Bassekou Kouyate & Ngoni ba (Mali) was a awesome time!

BradM, have no fear, the show was taped(by cbc) and will be available for free download at either cbc radio 2 or 3. I forget.

Edited by Guest

If you have not had the opportunity to check out this project Bela's involved with......do so before it's over.....you will NOT regret it.

It's too late - no more scheduled shows involving The Africa Project at the moment. He did about a dozen over the Winter, with a bigger group (involving a show at Dominion Chalmers Church in Ottawa - only Canadian date).

The album and the documentary film Throw Down Your Heart are both VERY DAMN GOOD!