Jambands.ca

Taste of Wellington 2010 is tomorrow

bouche

I found out today when trying to get a table at the Foolish Chicken (totally booked btw) that the taste of wellington is on tomorrow. I thought this happened at the end of summer. Do they do this twice a year now?

who's going? last year was too packed...too many people, not enough tastes.

Details here

Yes...if you read your board you would have noticed I mentioned this in another thread...

Kidding.

Last year it was in Sept...why they changed it this year I have noooo idea...

3 things.

Show up early....stuff disappears quick

Be prepared to wait in line...sometimes for a long time

After waiting, remember, you are only getting a "taste" of Wellington...Not a meal.

IMO...Not worth it...just go to each restaurant on your own time, and get a full meal...

Another thing....

There is a shack down on Wellington near Somerset called "Hintonburger", anyone know the deal here?

There is also a Wood Fired Pizza joint opening soon beside the Elmdale...

AND...

Pizza Cones on Bronson.

Show up early....stuff disappears quick

Be prepared to wait in line...sometimes for a long time

After waiting, remember, you are only getting a "taste" of Wellington...Not a meal.

IMO...Not worth it...just go to each restaurant on your own time, and get a full meal...

I think for the folks that live in Ottawa AND love to find good eats, word of mouth is nearly as good as a street tasting. I've learned of a lot of great places from this forum, ottawafoodies, and friends from work.

2 or 3 years ago, we learned of many great places on wellington from our first time attending the taste of wellington. I'll never forget tasting pascal's ice cream on that hot saturday afternoon.

Last year was a bust. I met Ollie and we found every place had crazy ass lineups for a ..... taste. Most places were out of tastes by 2. We just gave up and had a beer on a patio.

I went right before 1pm on Saturday (yes it was raining at the time) and enjoyed this immensely!

The ones I remember in order of appearance:

Samosas and chocolate dessert from East India Bakery: samosa 7.5/ 10; dessert 6/10. Run of the mill stuff here, nothing special. The samosa got a 7.5 because the sweet chili sauce was great.

Burger from Absinthe. 14/ 10. UNREAL. Baconaisse is my new passion. Got one of the first ones served, line up was about 100 people within 10 minutes.

Cou Cous at Viva Loca. Not my dixie cup of tea. Unfair to grade, I hate that stuff.

Atrium (sp?) Mango avocado chicken sandwich. 9/10. Great flavour combos.

Foolish Chicken- cornbread and hearty veg soup. 9.5/10. Best soup I've tasted in this town in ages. Cornbread was amazing.

Incredible Edibles- hummous on pita- not bad but nothing special. Gluten free carrot cake- tasted like regular cake which makes it a 11/10 for me- most g-free stuff is terrible.