Jambands.ca

Off to Auz

scottieking

So we're leaving for Australia for a six week travelfest - Melbourne to Cairns - Campervan most of the way.

We've gotten tons of great recommendations but if you Skanks have any secret spots I should check out, post em here.

Otherwise, see y'all in August (maybe at that festival that's not happening in Limestone...)

Crescent Head is a gorgeous tiny town on the coast near the border of QLD and NSW. Go. Get up early from the car park where you can crash in your van, and walk 3 feet to the beach. The headland provides one of the nicest right hand breaks I saw in OZ. Gorgeous scenery. Great pics to be had. walk out to the headland and check the view. 4 years on and i still can't forget it.

Hawk's Nest, further south from the QLD NSW border is another hidden gem. Again, park you WIKED camper van as you please, get up for the sunrise, and prepare to behold something amazing. Say hi to the dolphins for me.

There is also a Toronto in NSW, but you know.

Sydney = Meh.

Melbourne = !!!!!!

Noosa = AMAzing

Surfer's Paradise = SHIT. Skip it unless you want to relive first year of university.

Byron Bay (Obviously the mot beautiful place in NSW)

Brisbane aka BrizVegas= Skip entirely.

Just my thoughts.

Robbae

definitiely agree with the above comments...especially Noosa and Byron. of course you should see Nimbin but i was disappointed a bit (although i did get nicely sorted there). i would HIGHLY recommend even just a day trip out to the Whitsunday Islands...whitehaven beach is one of the most magical places on earth as far as i'm concerned. 7 km of 98% pure silica sand beach that squeaks when you walk on it like that cool sound you get walking across really cold snow. i would even recommend doing a 3 day trip if you have the time

http://www.prosail.com.au/contact.php

these guys do it up right! awesome boats, and it's the best i ate the whole time i was down there. 6 meals a day on those boats and it's not an experience i will ever forget. prosail sails out of airlie beach.

totally agree on the skip surfer's paradise. check out some of the outback if you can. i stayed on a sheep station and a 100,000 sq.mile cattle station that were real fun times. if your near a town called dingo, (between airlie beach and rockhampton) stay at the namoi hills cattle station. if macca is still there, he will get you drunk but listen to him. he has wise things to say. they have a hosteling setup there (with a bar) even out in the middle of the red desert.the hostels (every town has one) will be a good source of finding things like this.

when you get to cairns, definitely spend a drunken night at the woolshed. if you don't hate abba by then (it is played everywhere there) or the grease soundtrack (also everywhere) you will be dancing on the tables all night (fully encouraged) at the woolshed. there is another bar just off the promenade who's name escapes me, that is pretty famous for it's foam parties.

the inn on the beach in byron bay has best access to the beach of the hostels there... they also have thursday all you can drink sangria night (dangerous!!!) but for a really unique spot stay at the arts factory in byron. tipi's, covered wagons, geodesic domes serve as the dorms there. spend a night on the beach there watching the lighthouse go and watching the phosphorescent surf roll in....

word of advice when in australia..prepare to party! aussies love their beer (as if you didn't know that) a saying i got off a t-shirt down there that i love read: "i'd rather BE a good liver than have one"

enjoy your trip! colour me jealous...

OZ is amazing I lived there for 1.5 years just got back in November, Whitsundays is a must!! You gotta see the reef from there or from Cairns

Byron is good fun, and Noosa and the Sunshine Coast are nice and Laid back, There are tons of hostels for dirt cheap. ( The weather is cold @ these places this time of yea, remember cold for the sunn coast is 20 Celsius)

Go stay and stay @ the reef as long as you can!!Best thing i have ever done on my life

Check out the Eumundi Markets which run every weds and sat Near Noosa for a great souvenirs and also check out some local didgeridoo players there

Also a great lil live music bar in eumundi called joes waterhole its great.

Wish I was going with you!! Melbourne rocks got to any sporting event you can ~!! drink as much twooheys beer as you can and take alotta photos

also Fraser island near the sunny coast is also worth checkin out for sure you can drive rite on the beach and they take you too one the clearest most beautiful beaches I have ever seeen

Enjoy and the jetlag comming home is the only sturggle but well worth it!!

Cheers mate, good on ya (Aussie Slang)