Jambands.ca

UFC 118: Boxer vs. MMA

Guest Low Roller

Guest Low Roller

This Saturday UFC 118 is happening. I got to admit that I got pulled into the whole MMA thing now. UFC are doing a great job hyping up fighters and consequently hyping up dream matches, of which there never seems to be a shortage of.

However UFC 118 will have something a bit different. It will feature a boxer vs. MMA match between boxing legend James Toney and MMA legend Randy Couture. Toney has been bad mouthing MMA for a long time and when he accepted Dana White's challenge, Couture was chosen as his opponent due to his experience.

It won't be pretty and I'm expecting it to be short, but still, this is a special attraction match that will draw some sick money for the UFC.

Predictions?

I'm thinking Coleman takes Toney down fast, and makes him submit not even two minutes into round 1.

Too bad Toney is over the hill (age 42) and hasn't fought anyone of substance in years. I'd like to see the mid-90s middleweight Toney fight in MMA and not this old and slow heavyweight version. However, this fight will be interesting if he lands one of his big punches.

Guest Low Roller

Following that argument, Coleman (edit: I meant Couture) is also over the hill, and he isn't considered a serious threat in the UFC any more due to his age. This will likely be his last big payday for the UFC.

I would say that this fight is balanced in that regard that both are well outside their prime.

Edited by Low Roller

I really don't think Toney has a chance. He's gonna be all "Hey Ref! Get this guy offa me!" as soon as he gets bull-rushed to the mat. Couture can still take 'nuff abuse, he's just not as quick as he used to be. His age won't affect his strength at all. I just don't believe that boxers and mma fighters are that different in punch strength. I'm sure that some of the dude's that Couture has fought punched equally heavy to what Toney will be capable of in this fight. funthough

Edited by Guest

Guest Low Roller

I'm guessing that Toney won't have boxing gloves on during the fight? The training video I saw of Toney has him punching a bag with gloves on like he was training for a boxing match, so I question whether he has even attempted to work on his ground game at all.

I really don't think Toney has a chance. He's gonna be all "Hey Ref! Get this guy offa me!" as soon as he gets bull-rushed to the mat. Couture can still take 'nuff abuse, he's just not as quick as he used to be. His age won't affect his strength at all. I just don't believe that boxers and mma fighters are that different in punch strength. I'm sure that some of the dude's that Couture has fought punched equally heavy to what Toney will be capable of in this fight. funthough

Toney is still a monster puncher and he's still fast. It's not as if Toney hasn't been training as a MMA fighter; for his sake and entertainment value, let's hope he has.

Classy speech from Randy. James is starting to sound punch-drunk a la Evander Holyfield and Tommy Hearns, which is indeed troubling. For his health, I hope he sticks to MMA instead of being a journeyman boxer, because you know damned well he won't retire from boxing (no boxer ever does when they should, except Marvin Hagler).

I really didn't think Toney would win and figured Couture would move quick to get him on the mat but I was guessing round two at least, especially after seeing an interview with Toney where he was talking serious trash about this fight and how superior his training for boxing was - doesn't seem to have been the case.

Props to Couture for going for the submission and not just beating Toney senseless - which after watching the fight it seems he could have done rather easily.