Jambands.ca

One word...

Thorgnor

I like the trade. What exactly don't you like about the deal? Bayless is a similar player to Jack, but 5 years younger. Stojakovic can score and is a good bargaining chip in case they decide to deal at the trade deadline. Marcus Banks never plays and Andersen is a role player, which is all fine and dandy, but Ed Davis is almost ready to play and he'll need minutes. Keep in mind that the Raps have been undermanned for most games since Barbosa has been in and out of the lineup and Kleiza has had niggling injuries. Also, there's going to be a hard-cap in the NBA next season, and the Raps will be around $15 million under the cap. The trade looks good for both teams.

Meh.

I think that cap space is great, look what its done for LA. My question would be, how is Stojakovic going to turn his recent slide around? Bayless may have a future... may.

Banks has been underused, and we got nothing back for him. Anderson has been playing, Davis is a huge maybe. And who cares if you have cap space going forward if there aren't any free agents to sign? Are we making space for Melo?

I'm totally underwhelmed by Colangelo recently.

Edited by Guest

You should be underwhelmed by Colangelo, but this is a good trade. Stojakovic is on the decline, but he still is one of the best outside shooters in the league. His minutes were cut on New Orleans. Anyway, Banks wasn't playing with the Raps as it was, so who cares if he's gone? Andersen? He's 30 and a depth player. Davis is a high draft pick and a potential good to star player. You don't stick him on the bench when you most likely won't make the playoffs anyway.

There's always free agents to sign. And next season is a hard-cap, which is not in place right now.

What I meant by my cap comment was that there will be some way provided for teams that want to overspend, or stack their roster by paying for it, to do so, regardless of how hard the cap is sold as right now.

I don't buy that Stojakovic will be a much different story from Turkoglu. He wracked up the vast majority of his points back when no one was paying attention to him in Sacramento. Sure, you have to see what Davis can do, but KG is over 30, so is Pierce, Bryant, Allen, and more than a few others who can still kill it. Anderson was a very solid fall back and I'm not sure Davis will ever fill that in. I still don't like that we took Bargnani first overall, why should I trust the Raptors drafting abilities when DeRozan is the first guy to "work out" in a long time?

Bayless is a step up from Jack, but only if he can replace Jose, and keep him on his feet. I'm reminded of the way Jose really stepped up his game after Ford left. My fingers are crossed, but...

Edited by Guest

The main difference between Stojakovic and Turkolu is that the former is a professioal and not a spoiled malcontent concerned about partying and staying out late. Also, Sacramento was a very good team during most of Stojakovic's tenure, and he was one of their best players.

Are you comparing a fringe roll player with the Boston plus-30 stars? They were all great when they were 24 and younger. Bargnani was a mistake at #1 given Aldridge, who went #2, is a more complete player and has developed into a legitmate all-star. That same draft, Brandon Roy went #6 and Rondo @ #21. Still, if you had to do it over again and taking hindsight into account, Bargs would go at #3 (Adam Morrison went #3 at this draft).

I'm saying we know that Anderson is a good backup, regardless of his age, and that he can be trusted to play his game, unlike some of the younger guys on the roster. He was a stable piece. My point about Anderson's age was that you know what you're getting, he's gonna play that way forever, pick and pop. He's predictable in a good way. Bayless, not so much.

And yes, Stojakovic was probably their best player in Sac, but that was in '97 or something. It's been awhile since I've noticed him, and I watch basketball daily. And back then, Turk was considered a pro. In fact I remember him having a pretty decent season somewhere in Florida right before he came north.

And banana can go ahead and take number three in his draft... as long as he isn't on "my" team. They totally shit the bed in that and the next draft, and the two before that. Again, so what if Davis is tearing up the D-League? So did Amir and we don't seem to be beating away the scouts from other teams.

Edited by Guest

It makes me nervous that you listen to Cheryl Miller.

FYI, Stojakovic played for Sacramento from 1998-2006. He had decent seasons in New Orleans too. I know his career is in the decline, but he can help the Raptors and can be used as a bargaining chip at the July trade deadline.

Orlando wanted to get rid of Turk; they tired of his off-court antics. We saw this for ourselves in Yorkville etc...

Davis just started rehabbing in the D-League; he hasn't had much of a chance yet to tear it up (you used present tense, so I`m assuming you mean now - he did have a good summer league).

Amir is a diamond in the rough, although they overpaid to keep him (a trend in Toronto non-Leafs pro sports). Weems was a great college player and he's finally playing with confidence. Both underachieving players with potential finally getting minutes. Heck, Reggie Evans has been great, which is a far cry from last year.

I'm not in love with this team and remain a frustrated Raptors fan, but I'm optimistic about the development of some of the core players.

It makes me nervous that you listen to Cheryl Miller.

Amir is a diamond in the rough, although they overpaid to keep him (a trend in Toronto non-Leafs pro sports). Weems was a great college player and he's finally playing with confidence. Both underachieving players with potential finally getting minutes. Heck, Reggie Evans has been great, which is a far cry from last year.

OK, fair enough. That's funny. Although to be honest, in this case I let her confirm my feelings, I don't exactly *listen to her :)

I totally agree with rest that I've quoted. I don't feel that Peja will be dependable for long, and with an expiring contract, we can be sure from past experience that the Raps will totally make a killing when he goes... or not.

My comment about Davis was rhetorical. I'm not going to hold my breath about him.

I'll see it when I believe it.

:chug:

no they didn't

I know it's from wiki but...

In the 2009 offseason, Orlando traded Rafer Alston, Tony Battie, and Courtney Lee to the New Jersey Nets in exchange for eight-time All-Star Vince Carter and Ryan Anderson.[26] Hedo Türkoğlu, as part of a sign-and-trade, was sent to the Toronto Raptors. They then made several free agent signings. On July 10, former Dallas Mavericks power forward Brandon Bass was given a 4-year deal.[27] On July 21, the Magic signed former Phoenix Suns Forward Matt Barnes.[28] On August 19, they signed former Miami Heat point guard Jason Williams.[29]

• 2 weeks later...

So maybe I spoke too soon?

They seem to be playing with heart, which is more than I can say for the past six or seven years. And what's more, their record is 8-11, better than the 7-12 they started with last year. Is this a better Raps squad than the past seasons have been? It just might be... but we still got hosed on Stojakovic.

I still see no logic in your Stojakovic derision. However, I'm liking the effort of this young squad. Ed Davis's debut was excellent. If they deal Stojakovic at the deadline (or before), which will probably happen, then the team will only get better. But I do like that Stojakovic likes Toronto and is married to a Greek (I'm thinking I'll run into him in my hood at some point: Riverdale/Greektown).

I'm concerned he'll like Toronto too much and pull a Hedo. He's already showing up in suits instead of sweats. And I don't doubt for a second that you'll bump into him, probably in a bakery or cheese shop.

Who's gonna take him?

Well, he'll have to prove he's healthy, but any bubble or legit playoff team. I do want him traded, unless they get him at a reduced rate (unlikely).

I'm trying to figure out why a team that's already killer, like LA or Boston, or even Miami or Orlando would want him. Likewise, I don't see Phoenix, Atlanta, Portland, or even NJ putting young talents on the bench for him. I mean really, who wants him? Show me the interest and I'll start believing that the Raps didn't get hosed yet again on an expiring contract that's expiring for a reason. Way to clear space on the balance sheet! Now we can go after... Melo?!?!?!?!?

With the news out of NO, it seems that Colangelo was pretty much put up to it by a league looking for somewhere to dump some contracts and avoid paying too much for their own mistakes... Share the burden, you know? There is a lot less sunshine on the court up here, and the books in NO are about to get a very thorough going through. imo

Edited by Guest

• 1 month later...

Yeah I just saw that the details changed a little.

I still don't think that the Stojakovic trade was a good idea. We'll see about Ajinca, but I'm glad we didn't send Alabi away.

I would point to this as the key statement about having acquired Peja in the first place...

“We explored multiple (trade) scenarios and nothing looked promising whatsoever,†said Colangelo.

I could have told them that before they traded for him.

Edited by Guest