Jambands.ca

Widespread Panic’s longtime equipment manager found stabbed to death

TheGoodRev

Article

Widespread Panic’s longtime equipment manager was stabbed to death in his house in Northern Clarke County yesterday morning, Athens-Clarke police said.

Officers found 49-year-old Garrie Vereen dead in his home on Featherwood Court at about 8:30 a.m. Wednesday, after a friend called 911 to report that Vereen had committed suicide, police said.

But after an autopsy at the Georgia Bureau of Investigation’s State Crime Lab, a medical examiner called police today to report Vereen’s death was ruled a homicide, according to police.

Investigators have interviewed the friend who called 911, but police would not say if he or anyone else is a suspect in Vereen’s death.

Police also would not say why the friend thought the stabbing was a suicide, or who might have had a motive to kill Vereen.

“We just got notified this morning, so we’re just getting into full-fledged investigative mode,†Athens-Clarke police Capt. Clarence Holeman said this afternoon.

The death is a big loss to Widespread Panic. Vereen was equipment manager for the popular Southern jam band for two decades.

Vereen headed out with the band the first time in 1992 or 1993, he told the Athens Banner-Herald in a 2008 interview.

Back then, the band traveled in a passenger van and a 24-foot truck, and had grown to needing a bus and three freight trucks — one for lights and sound, one for band equipment and another for merchandise, Vereen said.

Widespread Panic played a two-night stand at the Classic Center last week, returning to its local roots to kick off a 25th anniversary tour.

According to Panic website it's related to aneurysm. According to newspaper article online, it's a homicide. Somebody has the facts wrong. If the quotes from police are accurate I don't see how Panic's statement can be right, unless they are just smoothing over terrible news.

But I don't think the thread should be deleted.

Sad news either way.

One of the truest friends on and of this earth, Donald Garrie Vereen, passed away Wednesday morning due to unexpected complications from his recent aneurism.

So many blessings have already been received by so many concerned; Garrie’s Family and extended Family thank you all for trying to help fill this new found void in our Hearts.

However... and this is important... in this age of lightning speed information (and mis-information) sharing, The Vereen and Widespread Panic Families respectfully request that energies spent are not wasted on rumor and speculation, but channeled into the Love we share for Garrie, his Family, and one another.

With Respect, Reverence, and Blessings,

Windy Vereen and John Bell

The Vereen Family Trust has been set up at First American Bank & Trust 300 College Avenue, Athens, GA 30601

(706) 354-5000

Edited by Guest

This thread should be deleted out of respect for the family.

I didn't compose the words, all I did was repost an article from a newspaper!

And like AD says, it seems as though the facts here are in question. I don't mean any disrespect but I don't see what it'll do to delete the thread. That article will see more traffic than this ever will.