Jambands.ca

When music becomes a weapon

phishtaper

Guelph guitar shop proprietors stage high-volume protest over construction work

Greg Layson - Mercury Staff

GUELPH— The Raso brothers are gettin’ the Led out to prove a point.

The entrepreneurs, Adrian and Kris, are protesting the loud, lengthy and costly Carden Street construction by blasting Led Zeppelin tunes from the doorstep of their downtown guitar shop on the same street.

Their protest began Wednesday afternoon. And, it cranked back up Thursday afternoon, as construction of the Market Square, ice rink and landscaping in front of city hall idled.

“Most of the reason I’m doing it is to send a message to City Hall. They can do whatever they want, whenever they want but we have to listen to that all day, everyday, for three years,†Adrian Raso said, gesturing to the multitude of construction equipment parked outside City Hall.

The Rasos, who sell and repair guitars and offer lessons out of the shop, said business has been cut in half since construction started.

Adrian said he’s sent “countless emails†and tried “forever†to communicate with staff but to no avail.

“They have no consideration for the businesses along here. It’s just not acceptable,†he said.

Ward 1 Coun. Bob Bell, an entrepreneur himself, sympathizes with Raso and the rest of the Carden Street merchants.

“I don’t blame them at all. I’m surprised they haven’t been more vocal earlier,†he said. “You can survive for a little bit. But if it goes on and on and on you can only swim so far before you reach shore.â€

Bell went so far as to jokingly suggest other merchants join Raso’s protest.

“Maybe (fellow Carden Street business) Guelph Music should blast some music, too. That way, it’ll be in stereo,†Bell said.

Bell has long said he didn’t believe so many civic projects be undertaken at once in the area. But staff and council moved to complete infrastructure work, the Market Square, skating rink and landscaping in succession. Some of the work was based on federal and provincial infrastructure stimulus money. Much of the cosmetic work wasn’t.

“I didn’t think it was a good idea to do all these projects back-to-back. These projects should have been staged,†Bell said.

“It all comes down to poor planning,†Adrian Raso said.

Bell worries that despite the new rink and streetscape it could be years before retail returns to normal on Carden Street.

“What I’m worried about is the fact that people get into shopping patterns. And the pattern on Carden Street has been dislodged,†Bell said.

Raso called the noise complaints against his business “totally offensive†given that staff works day in and day out with the constant construction noise in the background.

Given the city approved funds for downtown business façade improvements and the fact he’s endured construction for years, Raso is also offended the city wants him to pay for a permit for a small sandwich board sign he uses to advertise on the sidewalk.

“You can’t expect people won’t push back,†he said. “People have to know what’s going on down here.â€

A bylaw officer visited the 58 Carden St. business the past two days. It’s located directly across from the courthouse. City staff complained Wednesday and court staff griped about the noise Thursday.

“Is the issue that they don’t like Led Zeppelin? Maybe he should try something else. Maybe he should take requests,†Bell joked.

The Rasos have yet to be issued a bylaw offence notice. And they may never be.

According to city bylaw, “noise created from the operation of a radio, television, stereo or other electronic device including any amplification device, or any musical or other sound producing instrument†is prohibited “at all times in residential areas.â€

It’s prohibited everywhere in the city between the hours of 11 p.m. and 9 a.m.

Adrian Raso pledged to pump up the volume daily, but “on a sporadic basis.â€

“I didn’t realize music could be such a weapon,†he said.

Cool.

I have a neighbor who blast Jesus Rock all day long while he gardens (he is off his rocker at the best of times). I wonder what music I can blast at him to cut the glory glory hallelujah crap?

For now I have a sign all ready to go that reads:

Jesus

Music

Sucks

Music is in tiny letters, while the other two words are large. I just need to get up the courage to put it out there.....

I think it's pretty cool too. Carden street has been a mess for five years now and these business owners have been hit hard with no concessions from the City at all. Guelph is starting to suck a bit.

ps ...

I just need to get up the courage to put it out there.....

John-Courage-Amber.jpg

I have some of those, but I also have neighbors that I like and respect. I don't want to piss everyone off at once!

I for one find these cases of business vs. the city totally frustrating. Sure the city needs to improve, but its maddening when they refuse to reduce or eliminate property taxes during these periods of reduced foot traffic and business.