Jambands.ca

from roger waters online.com:

Esau

from rogerwatersonline.com:

ROGER WATERS

JOINS UP WITH

PINK FLOYD MEMBERS

Today (14th November) Roger performed with Pink Floyd at the funeral of Steve O'Rourke. This is the first time since the last Wall concert in 1981 the four members have performed together. They played 2 songs together Fat Old Sun and Great Gig in the Sky. The funeral held at Chichester Cathedral, England was a fitting goodbye to a man some called Mr. Pink Floyd.

Steve O'Rourke was their manager....R.I.P. Steve

I read an interview with Roger Waters recently where he said something to the effect of never talking to Gilmour again would be fine with him. It's sad that it takes the death of a mutual friend to bring two enormous egos together again. I would, however, LOVE to see this as the begining of some kind of reconciliation.

I.M.O. Pink Floyd w/o Roger isn't really Pink Floyd.

Peace

quote:

bahhhh!! Pink Floyd isn't all about Roger. You have to give room to someone like David Gilmour to contribute... he's as much of a genius as Roger, just different. Waters had powerful lyrics, Gilmour had the music... but that was all a long time ago.

Here is something I found online:

In 1979, Roger Waters began to withdraw behind a wall of his own. He took over more and more control of the creative process, treating the others as little better than glorified session musicians and allegedly engineering the departure of founder member Rick Wright. The next album, The Final Cut, was subtitled, 'By Roger Waters, Performed By Pink Floyd'. Like Animals, it was largely made from reheated leftovers (in this case spare bricks from The Wall), but this time the result was decidedly half-baked and brought about the band's fragmentation.

In 1986, Roger Waters announced that he had left the band, assuming that the Pink Floyd would be finished without him. He had reckoned without the determination of Dave Gilmour, who decided to press ahead with Mason, a newly rehabilitated Rick Wright and an army of session musicians. Waters was furious and commenced a campaign of legal actions and slanging matches in the press, all to no avail. He had forgotten that, just like Barrett before him, he might have been the leader of the band, but to the public he was a distant, faceless figure on stage, half-hidden behind the dry ice, lights and inflatable pig.

The new Gilmour-led Floyd sounds infinitely more 'Floydian' than Roger Waters' dirge-like solo albums. But their first effort, A Momentary Lapse Of Reason, showed that without Waters' lyrical input, the new Floyd were pretty toothless. They followed this up in 1988 with The Delicate Sound Of Thunder, a rather uninspired live album, though a copy was taken by cosmonauts up to the Soviet Mir space station in 1988, thus justifying the Pink Floyd's 'first in space' T-shirt claim. Most disappointing of all was Shine On, an expensively priced box-set that merely repackaged seven Floyd favourites plus a bonus CD of the early singles, which annoyingly remains unavailable separately.

In 1994, Floyd mark 3 finally hit their stride with a new studio album, The Division Bell. Almost a concept album, it had a general motif of poor communications and it featured significant musical contributions from Wright and Mason, amidst the session men. The accompanying world tour boasted an astonishingly elaborate light show and complete performances of Dark Side Of The Moon, all captured on the recent live CD, P.U.L.S.E., with its flashing box. However good their live son et lumière, though, the new material still lacks the emotional punch of the old, and unless Gilmour can find another songwriting partner of Roger Waters' calibre, Pink Floyd seem destined to trade off past glories.

quote:

Originally posted by vermontdave:

Amen. Couldn't get into the dog and pony show that Pink Floyd had become when they started touring again in 1987 -- 3 original members and a cast of thousands. How'd their chops decline so much that they could no longer do what they used to with just 4 (and sometimes 5 with Snowy)?

P.S. Roger w/o the other guys ain't Floyd either. I'm not picking sides, I like 'em all.

Archived