Jambands.ca

attitudes and egos....

snarfmaster C

...really bug me.

[Mad][Frown][Mad]

The experience of Socrates.

When one has become a master in some field one has usually, for that very reason, remained a complete amateur in most other things; but one judges just the other way around, as Socrates had already found out. This is what makes association with masters disagreeable.

-Nietsche

why can't we all maintain an open mind, heart and ears in our dealings with eachother? nothing to prove, everything to share. i think we'd all be a whole lot richer if we did.

i'm sure i'm missing a lot of perspectives on this idea --- your thoughts?

[Confused]

or just ignore me and i'll go on wondering what's wrong with folks (myself included) either way i don't know if anything will change.

Willy - yeah, can you tell what i been readin lately ?!?! [Roll Eyes][smile]

hamilton - i agree with what nietsche is saying. i have been noticing the elitist attitude in some people (academic and otherwise) and am wondering why, just because a person has gotten deep into the essence of something (music, biology, business... anything) that people tend to believe that they have an understanding of the essence of much more.

hmmm. i guess having a degree of mastery of a field of study can allow a person to relate the rest of the world in terms of that subject, thus making it seem easier to understand. but i think if that's a person's approach that they should be aware that there is a huge amount of bias in that 'understanding'.

jerry rocks [Wink][smile]

this is the product of too many bowls and a sleepless night...

most people feel the need to be in control. When you have a "mastery" or say a true understanding of something, you feel in control of that situation. Perhaps, in trying to maintain that same level of control in other aspects of said person's life, they try to create the illusion of mastery, to retain the level of control they feel when dealing with their mastered skills. and you certainly can't ask questions when you're pretending to know what the hell's goin on. that's my .02

Archived