Jambands.ca

Any math wizards?

c-towns

Its been so long since I've had to figure out these volume calculations, can I get some help here?

I have a piece of tubing that is 30 inches long and has a diameter of a 1/4 inch, the wall of the tubing is 1/8 of an inch thick. I need to know how much liquid the tube would hold if it was full.

Thanks in advance.

Try drawing some pictures, particularly of the cross-section of the end of the tube, which will be two circle, one inside the other: the outer circle is the outside of the tube, the inner circle is what's inside the tube's wall. You need to calculate the area of the inside of the tube, not including the wall of the tube.

Once you know the area, multiply it by the length of the tube, and you've got the volume.

Aloha,

Brad

Guest Low Roller

I deleted my original post, but it seems as though my initial instinct was right.

If your outer diameter is 1/4, to calculate your inner diameter you gotta subtract the wall thickness on both sides of your outer diameter:

1/4 - (1/8 x 2)= 0

Your tube is not hollow. Are you sure it's a PVC tube and not an inanimate carbon rod?

Guest Low Roller

quote:

Originally posted by Tungsten Gruvsten:

also, you are looking for the volume the pipe will hold, the wall thickness of the tube doesn't matter.

Of course it does dude. Water can't flow through solid, therefore you have to subtract the thickness to get the actual volume that the water can fill.

quote:

Originally posted by Low Roller:

I deleted my original post, but it seems as though my initial instinct was right.

If your outer diameter is 1/4, to calculate your inner diameter you gotta subtract the wall thickness on both sides of your outer diameter:

1/4 - (1/8 x 2)= 0

Your tube is not hollow. Are you sure it's a PVC tube and not an inanimate carbon rod?

Or it's the answer to the question, "Dude, why doesn't this bong work?"

Aloha,

BRAD (Bedevilling Recalculations: Area, Diameter)

I don't have the tube in front of me, I'm trying to remember the measurements while looking at a tape measure.

Outside diameter = 1/2 inch

Wall = 1/8 inch

Therefore the inside diameter is a 1/4 inch making the radius 1/8 of an inch, so, pie x .125 squared x 30

= 1.472619 (would this be mL)

quote:

Originally posted by c-towns:

I don't have the tube in front of me, I'm trying to remember the measurements while looking at a tape measure.

Outside diameter = 1/2 inch

Wall = 1/8 inch

Therefore the inside diameter is a 1/4 inch making the radius 1/8 of an inch, so, pie x .125 squared x 30

= 1.472619 (would this be mL)

Since all the quantities that were multiplied together were in inches, it's in^3 (cubic inches).

Aloha,

Brad

Archived