Jambands.ca

Alvin Lee, 1944-2013

guitarberman

Ten Years After guitarist and singer Alvin Lee has has died at the age of 68. A statement posted on his official website today reads:

With great sadness we have to announce that Alvin unexpectedly passed away early this morning after unforeseen complications following a routine surgical procedure.

We have lost a wonderful much loved father and companion, the world has lost a truly great and gifted musician.

Lee was born in Nottingham, England in 1944 and was inspired by early rock guitarists like Chuck Berry and Scotty Moore while he was a kid. He helped found the band Ten Years After in 1966, and the group was catapulted into fame after a stellar performance at the legendary Woodstock festival. Ten Years After broke up in 1974, but Lee continued to play as a solo artist and with a variety of other configurations. His most recent album, Still on the Road to Freedom, was released in 2012.

Wow, what a shock! I had the incredible experience of witnessing Alvin Lee in action 3 times that I can remember (twice at Molson Park, and once at Rock and Roll Heaven), and was always hoping he would tour this way again! Ten Years After were and always will be one of my favourite bands...Alvin Lee gave the world a great gift! May he RIP :(