Jambands.ca

Bruce Cockburn tonight in Peterborough

bONES

Go see the man if you can! I've seen Bruce on many, many occasions and try to never miss a performance by him. His setlists usually vary quite impressively, covering both old and new material effortlessly. Oh, and he's a guitar god.

I saw him at Hamilton Place on Sunday and it was a great show (although I was shocked by the turnout: probably only about 500 people). He has a great band with him, it was actually surprisingly loose and jazzy compared to other shows by him I've seen. And damn, is he ever a great guitar player.

He's favouring material from his last few albums but that's ok with me. It was a well-arranged show with a good balance between his sweeter side and the more intense social-political songs. Bruce, for such a politically minded person, is particularly politically charged at the moment, thanks to George W. Bush, whom he took a few shots at over the night.

If you're so inclined, and you've never seen him before, by all means, go! He really is a "legend", however you want to define that term.

I should stipulate though that I wouldn't describe a Cockburn show as "a good time" - his material and presentation is a bit too intense and involved to be considered "fun" but he sure gives you a lot to think about! Which is fun in and of itself, I s'pose.....

I realised my first post was pointless, as I'm too poor for shows right now, so no, I guess I won't be going. It's surprisimng that he's not stopping in Ottawa this time 'round. Ottawa is Cockburn Country (in more ways than one).

And just to spoil it for you all - when he plays Rocket Launcher, imagine he's singing "Rocket Lawnchair" instead, and that he's singing about blasting picnicers across this land.

For the record, yes I have a song about it, and on a (non-musician) friends suggestion, the chords are A, B, C, D, E, F, G. Worst The Tummies song ever, but it makes me larf.

Archived