Jambands.ca

Bonnaroo sold to LiveNation

AD

Guest Low Roller

Good for them for cashing out. Everyone was complaining for years that they sold-out, so why not just go ahead and complete the prophecy, and make a few million dollars along the way. 

As a pure exercise in curiosity I tabulated the first five headliners for each year of the festival. Widespread Panic got top billing an insane 6 times in 13 years. I think my favourite three would be 2003, 2007, and 2011. This year's is truly the first time that I feel completely disinterested with all the headliners. SELL OUTS!

2002: Widespread Panic, Trey Anastasio, Ben Harper, String Cheese Incident, Phil Lesh & Friends

2003: The Dead, Widespread Panic, Neil Young & Crazy Horse, James Brown, Allman Brothers Band

2004: The Dead, Dave Matthews & Friends, Bob Dylan, Trey Anastasio, David Byrne

2005: Widespread Panic, Dave Matthews Band, Trey Anastasio, Allman Brothers Band, Jack Johnson

2006: Radiohead, Tom Petty, Phil Lesh & Friends, Elvis Costello, Beck 

2007: The Police, TOOL, Widespread Panic, White Stripes, Ben Harper

2008: Pearl Jam, Metallica, Jack Johnson, Widespread Panic, Kanye West

2009: Bruce Springsteen, Phish, Beastie Boys, Nine Inch Nails, David Byrne

2010: Dave Matthews Band, Kings of Leon, Stevie Wonder, Jay-Z, Conan O'Brien

2011: Eminem, Arcade Fire, Widespread Panic, Black Keys, Buffalo Springfield

2012: Radiohead, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Phish, The Beach Boys, Bon Iver 

2013: Paul McCartney, Jack Johnson, Tom Petty, Bjork, Wilco

2014: Elton John, Kanye West, Jack White, Lionel Richie, Vampire Weekend

2015: Billy Joel, Mumford & Sons, Deadmau5, Kendrick Lamar, Florence + The Machine

I went in '03 and '04. Great times in '03, less so in '04, although that was mostly due to weather and discovering a deathly food allergy on the Saturday morning. I regret not going in '09, although I was on the west coast at the time and couldn't swing it.

Regardless, any sense of counter-culturalism has long since passed. Too bad, but it seems like something people still enjoy so more power to them.

Not to mention 2009 was (unknown at the time) the last ever Beastie Boys show.  And it was announced that it would likely be the last Nine Inch Nails show but that turned out to be untrue when Trent changed his mind after the fact...  So many good times there.  Glad people are still enjoying it.