Jambands.ca

So ya missed Karl Denson you say?

MuleMomma

It was a really tough call, deciding between the Rose Garland North Halton Deadhead Family XMAS in Milton and Karl Denson's Tiny Universe in Buffalo, but I decided on the latter being a Tiny Universe addict and all. Initially, I was told by the Tralf that the show would "probably go a little late, like 11 or midnight" - that place kills me...they think midnight is late on a Saturday night? Anyway, this time it was going to be to my advantage since I had to get back to Toronto for work by 2am. But, inevitably, what always seems to happen with the best-laid plans, there was a blizzard in Albany and the Tiny Universe didn't even arrive at the club until 7:30pm, spending I think Karl said 14 hours on their bus. Mike Dillon's (thanks Tasha) band, Hairy Apes BMX, were unable to make it at all.

So, no surprise to anyone who knows me, I missed the beginning of the show, probably thinking the band was going on super late, and had to leave 3 songs before it ended (if they stuck to the intended setlist). But hey, some Tiny Universe is better than no Tiny Universe at all. And these guys continue to blow my mind...I cannot get enough of this band. Their timing and rhythm is impeccable, and they lay down such a heavy groove...I do believe that it is impossible to stand still. If you're listening Karl, please please come to the northeast more often.

Of course, the vibe was that much more special with the group of smiling grooving Canadians in attendance...you know who you are guys [Wink]

Here's the setlist (as written by the band, tell me if they changed it or added to it anyone) -

Set I

Rich Man's Welfare

Good 4 U

Can You Feel It

Trampled

Because of Her Beauty (damn, I missed this)

Satisfied

Spanish Castle Magic

Groove On (yeah!!!)

Frankenstein (believe it or not)

Set II

Freedom

Lookout (super cool tune)

Soul' Driftin/Family Tree

Goldmine

Fallin' (another fave - yay!!)

Steamed Water

Chance w/ You

The Hen

The Clap

Nasty

Manic Depression

Encore

Windjammer

[big Grin][big Grin]

And, don't know how I did it, but leaving Buffalo at 12:45am, I made it to work at 2am on the nose...what am I nuts, leaving a KDTU show??? [Roll Eyes]

i'll post some pics later- the show was awesom- Mark, Willy and the two leanna's! great to meet ya and thanks for the imspired grooving.

FYI- the Tralf lost thier lease and although the owner says he's looking for a new room- the Tralf in that location is going to be no more after June- I say- if you have never been to a show there- try to find something to attend before it goes on to other locations- cause this spot is an awesome showplace.

one of the bests parts is how intimate you are with any band that plays there- right down to the band usually just hanging after the show to chat with anyone- I've gotten mre great autographs and moozy moments with artists I love at the Tralf than at any other location!

Ahh- Karl D!

within a few seconds of me being in his face last night- with a huge smile on his face tells me that my glasses are awesome!

Ohh Karl- Thanks for noticing!

and then later I got to hang and chat with Brian Jordon had some cool photo-ops with Brian and Karl- ....hanging with our buddies Jeff and Dave made the show great from drive there to drive home!

Ahh- yah- mulemomma- Karl is the grooving shit-

Funny story (that i got to tell Karl too!)...the other day I was watching MuchMusic and they were doing a show on Hip hop and how some of the classic break beats in hip hop are from classic funk albums and that now there is a movement in newer hip hop to play funk on instruments-how novel bands that play! to make new funk instead of sampling.,...they close the piece by saying how cool it is to have this revival of funk...well for anyone who misssed the funk for a few years there karl's had the funk the whole time- too bad for you if you didn't know where it was!

Twas a great show! Good to see you MuleMomma! Always a great hugger and that's important in this world. [big Grin]

The show was excellent. I thought they were a little laid back during the first set but they really blew out all the stops and got serious;y funky/jazzy/jammy during the second set. The background groove that was taking place during the "xmas carols on horns" portion was absolutely sick. The sightlines at the Tralf are excellent. The sound was pretty good: I found the low end to be a little muddy but I was still able to get into the music without it bothering me too much. The crowd was pretty light I though. I talked to the Tralf management and their capacity is 650. I'd be surprised if they had more than 300 in the room. I completely believe that we could have filled a room in Toronto or Hamilton with this show. Come a little further North Karl!

spanish castle magic!

Brian and Karl channel Jimi through both of thier bodies I swear- and what a treat evening for Karl bring out the flute- I have some Increadible pics with the flute!!

OOHHHHHHH_ IIIII LOVE LOVE LOVE KARL and his KDTU!!!!!

and I have heard them again and again say that they want to come to Canada- I would cross your fingers and hope that in spring we get at least one date if not a montreal, toronto run!

I was unsure whether to name names in case any Canadians were incognito (ie. telling the Halton folks they were washing their hair or had the flu or something), but hey Pete, Tasha, Willy, Mark and Liana, it was awesome to see ya'll make the trek south of the border for such a special occasion (of course, it was a given that Pete and Tasha would be making the trip).

And strange you should mention that funk/hip hop connection story Tasha, 'cuz after seeing OutKast on Leno the first time, I thought I detected an awful lot of old school funk in their music, as well as P-Funk-esque escapades, right down to the capes, hats and furry boots. Don't think OutKast are really considered hip hop though, just thought I'd mention that.

And Secondtube, yes, believe it or not, I made it back to the most western edge of Toronto in 1-hour and 15-minutes. Jimmy T said to me at 12:30am, "you're never going to make it back to Toronto by 2". Then we talked some, I went to the washroom, stopped at the merch booth, ran out to my car, and the clock in my car said 1:48 (but I haven't changed it to daylight savings time yet). In fact, when I hit the first sign that said Toronto 118 km, it was 1am and I was doing 140, so I thought I might actually be early. Luckily, I never got nabbed, though I was really close at one point.

I would have loved to have checked out the Rose Garland show in Milton, but it's a very rare and special occasion when I get out to a dance show with my beautiful wife Liana. She loves to dance to funky, groovy music, and KDTU lays down some super sweet funky grooves! Hooking up with Wi!!y and Leanne before the show for some tasty food and many varieties of beer made it even better!

Nice to see Pete and Tasha, two of their friends from Guelph (sorry ... I'm horribly bad with names), and Karen. It's always a treat to see fellow Canadians at a U.S. show.

I really dig KDTU, and thought it was a solid show. He did way more singing at this show than at the only other KDTU show I was at (Toronto at Lee's Palace), which made it a bit more "pop sounding" than the Toronto show. No big complaints, that's for sure ... I was a happy, sweaty, tired boy by the time the show ended and we headed back home. KDTU has got a rhythym section that locks into the groove like no other band ... wow! And he is a positive energy machine! And the Hendrix ... that was an unexpected treat.

I'd love to see KDTU in Ontario in 2004, and have got to believe that on a weekend in Toronto or Hamilton there would be at least as many people out for it as the Buffalo show.

Peace, Mark

The Rose Garland show was being attended by a whole wack of my favourite people, so it would have made for (and did make for, by the sounds of it) one hell of a party!! Besides, it's always kinda nice to support our Canadian bands (though I must admit it being awhile since I last saw RG).

yah- the expressions he had while talking to me were just priceless- I'm so glad I threw my camera in my friends hands and said snap away!

she captured a super moment for me....

get this- in the world of syncronicity...I said to him that I loved seeing him in my home town on my birthday- Kalmazoo on the 7th or november and he says- that is my daughters birthday too, you crazy scorpio you!- I was so floored and now I feel somehow intimately connected to him.I know that Brian Jordon and Cris Littlefield always recoginze me- just cause I've forced conversation on them so often(well- they never seem to hate it ;)but I swear- Denson won't forget me soon either- I bet.

Ahhh- what an evening.

thanks it sure was a dream come true!

And I like to make sure that those types of moments are memorable- For as many people as possible!

oh and Tonin- Same goes for sure!- except for the woman part [Wink]

and thanks Palace- I don't get many of myself.

the other great series is one taken by a drunk guy who grabbed my camera from me atmoedown and forced me to take his silvery wig and try it on- those shots, I was amazed at how good they turned out and it made me realize how much I sometimes miss out on getting in on the pics- for the memories!

So yah- all you picture takers- don't forget to take them of yourself every now and again.

I'll look forward to some documentation of the guelph nero show!

everyone get your party face on!

Archived