Jambands.ca

Manitoba - Up In Flames

kung

This album really should be in everyone on the boards collection. Definitely one of the best albums of the year. Even a passing beats enthusiast would find this really engaging stuff. It's got this lucid dream quality with all the infectiousness of Big Beat without being Fatboy Slimmish. I can't get over how humane it is and how driving and engaging the sound is. The live drum sound is awesome and I could see where Canned Beats said it worked really well live. I would have lost my mash. 'I've lived on a dirt road all my life'. True that.

Funny we were just talking about Arcadefire they're playing in Guelph next week. I've been skeptical of The Shins, mainly because all of the 'The' bands sketch me out. But every other critically praised album this year that I was skeptical about, mainly cause they were critically praised, I've loved.

the drums on the album are nothing like the live show. I got up in flames on good old 12" vinyl disc. a record. the cd's sold quickly

i wish i'd have bought the early manitoba. the stuff i've heard pre-UIF was a lot better and everyone that's heard manitoba that knows the earlier stuff told me the same thing. i love up in flames. it stayed on my turntable for about a month after the show.

all you dorks that went to the guvernment/koolhaus instead of lees palace tht night missed out on a intensely captivating experience. primus is cool and technical...it could never take me where manitoba does.

Has anyone heard the new explosions in the sky? i heard a track on CHRW (94.9 FM London) and it was huge.

if your'e not familiar here's how i understand the music...it takes you back to when you were 7. you're laying on the side of a grassy hill looking up at a sky cascaded with building, moving clouds on a nice warm day. sway in the gentle breeze. bask.

Funny I feel the exact opposite way about Manitoba's old stuff versus new stuff. The older stuff is very Boards of Canada in a uninteresting sort of way to my mind (I've heard or read this said elsewhere as well). I find the new album a major development, his vocals are well suited and doctored, and the drum sound.

Archived