Jambands.ca

Wilco fans ...

M

The Autumn Defense (featuring Wilco bassist John Stirratt) will be playing a FREE show tonight, Tuesday, Feb 10th at the Horseshoe in balmy Toronto for all that are interested... enjoy! [smile]

~~~~

While most of today's retro-inspired bands seem to go channel their garage rock instincts, the Autumn Defense take a different, understated approach. Led by Wilco bassist John Stirratt and multi-instrumentalist Pat Sansone, the group creates a soft-hued album of reflective ballads, softly strummed acoustic guitars, and gorgeous harmonies. This is retro as heard through classic Beach Boys, Harry Nilsson, and Bread records, but it offers some surprisingly refreshing rewards. "Written in the Snow" is a slow-motion, ballad take on Wilco's Being There output; "Iowa City Adieu" sounds like a meeting of the minds between the Pernice Brothers and the Smiths; and "Circles," the album's closer, seems to bring all these disparate folk-pop elements together. All told, it's both bittersweet and beautiful. -- Jason Verlinde

~~~~~

-

John Stirratt

quote:

Originally posted by Palms:

Actually, Jay Bennett's replacement Leroy Bach announced last month he was leaving the band. JB left before Yankee Hotel Foxtrot came out, more than 2 years ago...

The thing is, he did leave [smile]

I didn't know that about Leroy Bach, that's too bad ... did he give a reason? Actually, if my memory of I Am Trying To Break Your Heart is correct, Leroy Bach was already a member when Jay Bennett left. Is Jeff Tweedy a major asshole to work with? There is a hell of a lot of turnover with Wilco members.

RnB

I adore that movie and think everyone should see it even if not a Wilco fan. I empathize with Jay because it seemed like an intractable situation. Tweedy doesn't come of so much as an asshole or domineering on film, he does seem entirely nonplussed about most things though.

agreed, the movie is absolutely fantastic.

i've read that tweedy has been playing and recording a lot with Jim O'Rourke in the past year, im sure there's a new directional influence there...maybe that has something to do with bach's decision to leave...and i have read it was his decision to leave, not that he was kicked out. who knows about tweedy's attitude...whatever it is, tho, he puts out some great shit.

Archived