Jambands.ca

BNB/Steve Murphy Review

\/\/illy

Okay, let me tell you; that was one of the finest nights of music that I have experienced in a while.

Steve Murphy and company setup song after song of sweet groove like they continually seem to do (if you've been in the 'Saloon' you know what I mean). Their experience together shines through and warmed the crowd on this rainy day. Bravo!

I've never been more impressed with the Burt Neilson Band than I was tonight. Their playing was as tight as it always has been but their song-writing has evolved in an awesome manner. I was so happy to see one of the 'elder' bands not sell their souls to the 'techno' dominatrix. Their jams erupted from well crafted pieces of writing and served to reinforce the lyrics of the song and let me dwell upon the message they held before standing me up and presenting me with the conclusion. Their influences seemed many and too complex to trivialize with category. It was a beautiful mosaic of sound and energy and I think that every person in the room saw and experienced it.

Thank all of you for making this an amazing night.

Love and peace!

great night of music indeed!!!!! I am listening to the new album right now, pretty fuckin sweet if ya ask me. I was blown away last night when murphy and shelby sat in with burt for an absolutly amazing Tonights the night.......WOW!!!

YOu guys nailed it. Recomend the new album to all. More on the mellow side, but mellow is GOOD, and the songwriting is beautiful.

I think the set went something like this...

SET ONE

fresco lopez

standing there

lost 'n lonely

st. andrews

they love each other

yellow pants

by the door

SET TWO

don't do it

number 7

l>

bored again

tonight's the night** (w/ Steve and Shelby)

stop 28

ENCORE

in the belly

Definately had a blast last night! Good to put a name to a face Willy....

Jeff

Sweet show ... I had loads of fun.

I was so glad I got there in time to catch Steve & Crazy Stickbird ... well done!!! Well-crafted original songs and a kickin' Serve Somebody ... I'm a huge fan of that one with Shelby singing. Steve Murphy is a talented musician and a positive, upbeat supporter of live music ... I love it when I hear musicians complimenting and supporting other musicians and bands, and Steve is always doing this.

Burt sounded sweet ... what a nice-sounding room the Casbah is. The new songs are definitely that ... songs ... after listening to them live and once on the disc I'm thinking these are songs I could hear on the radio. They even have a "Canadian feel" to them if that makes any sense. Definitely a different feel that the long funked out jam songs of the past, but it's rare to hear a band that can play funky dance grooves, spiral jams (I'm thinking '93 to '95 Phish), trance jams, and well-crafted songs. More of Mike's songs these days, and less of Jeff's funk, but a balanced approach with enough of both to keep this listener happy. And I agree with a few things I read from the Ottawa thread ... Mike's guitar is coming through much cleaner and more balanced these days ... it's sounding sweet. The first time I saw Burt do some of this new material the guitar was overpowering in the mix ... this time is was mixed just right. And Mike can play the guitar! I've always been a huge fan of Heisholt's keyboard playing, but have become more and more impressed with Mike's guitar playing as of late.

All and all a lot of fun in the Hammer last night!

Peace, Mark

I had a wicked time too, always good to dance it up to one of Steve's musical concoctions (thanks for the ride organizing steve!).

It's been a while since I've seen BNB and I love their original sounds too. Glad they haven't changed too much and i love their mellower sounds.

I really think that that bass player from crazy stick bird takes the cake though. [Wink]

Archived