Jambands.ca

Metric Tonight at the Casbah!

kung

Just passing through but had to bring this to people's attention. Not much excuse not to see them in Hamilton tonight since it will be one of their last small shows I'd think, they recently opened for Broken Social Scene at the Phoenix and are now headlining. It won't be long til they're opening for Bowie at the ACC and the like. Make it out if you can, some of you I'd actually like to run into!

damn you and your mind of water!

there are soooo many things happening in town tonight... Raisinhill, Mickey DeSadest solo CD release, friends shows at 33 Hess and Mermaid's and Ivory's

but it'd be good to party with ya and I have wanted to check out Metric

looks like I'm gonna have to turn to a life of crime after all to support my music habit

I don't know about any of those other bands, but I bet Metric's lead singer, what's her face? is hotter than all of them. I don't know Kung so I can't comment on his hotness qualities. Metric rocks out pretty decently too, though I preferred BSS when I saw them both in the wa way back. Wish I could teleport in to check it out, but science is currently preoccupied with other gizmos.

speaking of teleporting, I left out the Nash the Slash/Battleship Ethel show and the Michelle Titian('nother hottie, but one I know will talk to me [smile] )/Tiny Bill Cody show tonight

all in all 6 shows I absolutely cannot miss tonight [Mad]

guess I better get on the horn and start begging some guest list accomodations (and make sure the car is full of gas) [Cool]

well, this is certainly a glowin review (from PopMatters Music)

quote:

"If their sound defies categories, the force of their live show defies most laws of physics, logic, and politics. Bassist Josh Winstead never stops writhing to the voluminous polygons of sound he draws with his instrument; I'd say he's in his own universe if the signals he sent weren't so absolutely tight with the rest of the band. James Shaw on guitar is also a live wire, but his is an abstract frenzy that blurs sight before your eyes, as if his movements were taking place beneath a strobe light. Drummer Joules Scott-Key never moves the sweaty mess of curly brown locks out of his eyes, but obviously he's guided by a sense stronger than sight, a rhythmic biological clock with razor precision. I feel blessed to be seeing them while simultaneously robbed (and tragically un-hip) that it's taken me so long. How could I have missed a band so enticingly good for so long?"

It's like new new wave. Really melodic, deceptively simple, edgy. It throws back in certain ways to a Talking Heads sort of sound but in an authentic 'of the moment' kind of way. Basically a power trio bass, drums, guitar with a female vocalist (sometimes plays rudimentary keyboard). Emily is a total indy sexpot and her lyrics are really smart in steely dan sort of way. High high energy has to be seen to be believed.

I'd go just to see you there Kung! [Wink]

Wow. Your description was great except for the "new new wave" part. Dammit, I hated the whole "new wave" thing. Or at least I hated the music that I associated with "new wave."

Since it's merely a stumble from my place, I may slide over and check it out tonight.

Archived