Jambands.ca

On the road again...

Phunky Cauldron

So, I find myself wanting to do some travelling. Just a short 2 weeks in early may before spending a summer up in Haliburton. I was thinking Costa Rica or Panama, but I'm open to any suggestions. I'll be travelling alone and don't feel like spending a crap-load of cash. under $50 a day if it's possible. The flight's already covered (air miles), so I've just gotta worry about where I'm going and what I'm gonna do. Any ideas?

quote:

Originally posted by Phunky Cauldron:

So, I find myself wanting to do some travelling. Just a short 2 weeks in early may before spending a summer up in Haliburton.

Camp Wanakita??

As for the traveling, I'd head down South to see some festivals like New Orleans Jazz Fest or Beale St. Music Festival or MerlFest.. That whole area of the USA is hoppin' with festivals in May.

wrap up jazzfest with this zweet little run..

WEEN Shows This Spring!

Fri, April 30 at the State Palace Theater, New Orleans w/Medeski, Martin and Wood.

Tix: http://www.superflypresents.com/flash/main.htm or Ticketmaster or 504-522-5555.

Sat, May 1 at River Stages, Nashville, w/Shawn Colvin and Patty Griffin.

Sun. May 2 at Music Midtown, Atlanta, w/REO Speedwagon and Journey.

Tix: http://www.musicmidtown.com/tickets/index.cfm or Ticketmaster or by calling: 404-249-6400.

[big Grin]

Yes, that does say REO F'n SPEEDWAGON!!!

thanks traveler...that's the kind of inside shite I'm lookin for. I love how cheap it seems down there. I'm seeing on the lonely planet webpage that I can basically do it in panama for like $15US/day for everything I can imagine.

quote:

Camp Wanakita??

Nope, Haliburton Forest. Where's Camp wanakita? I'm guessing right around there, eh?

Ny favourite spot when I was in Costa Rica was Montezuma. Nice beaches, cool bars, a three level waterfall for cliff diving and quite a bit more.

I was there in 98 so it may have gotten a little more touristy by now.

I wouldn't worry too much about crime as long as you're smart. DO be careful in the capital though. Loads of thieves there. I would'nt spend anymore time there then you have. Get to the beaches right away. If you only have two weeks and you're flying into costa you might not want to go to Panama since that will be 2 days gone already in traveling.

Don't forget to buy a spanish/english dictionary.

The more spanish you know , the easier life will be down there.

Pura Vida

Costa Rica may not be the most unexploited places to go, but if you only have two weeks and want to live it up a bit, nice choice.

You can do Both Montezuma-Pacific side and Puerto Viejo-Carribean side in 2 weeks. Montezuma is expensive-stay at the hotel lucy on the beach for $15-20us.You can camp on the beach for free or pay $5 for campsite with showers and washroom.Go to Cabo Blanco park for a day hike.Stay for 4-5 days and then bus back to san Jose for the Carribean bus.Go to Puerto Viejo.I like to stay at the Coco Loco-thatched hut for $25-30us.There is alot of really cheap places to stay $2-? Try Rocken johnnys hammock hotel.But the best is up the road at Selvyn's.Day hike to Punta Mona if your enerjetic. Check out the web for info and go to C.R. Ive gone every year for 10 years and I love it.There is a jam band scene in P.V.

Archived