Jambands.ca

Sad Juke Joint News

show---whore

[Eek!][Eek!]

dont let secondtube read this, he loves that band and from what i have heard they blow my mind aswell.

Hey if your lookin for a band were interested, we used to be soul pleasure but a couple of new and departed members, we are now sanzwill band and if you want to come check out the new line up we play polos in hess village every sat and a st pattys day bash as well

A sad day for me when I read my email this morning about Jukejoint breaking up, and even sadder because Jukejoint will not be coming on Friday April 4. Here is (part of) the email that I received from Jukejoint, along with the formal announcement:

Mark,

I am saddened to announce to you that JUKEJOINT has just disbanded and we are unable to honour any of our commitments...

This came as a sudden surprise ... and we all apologize for this final inconvenience.

Thanks for your support and again...sorry.

Below is the formal announcement of the bands departure.

Steve

-----

After over 7 years of grooving and funking up jazzy vibes, after reams of positive press from all over Canada, after performing at a plethora of clubs and festivals for audiences of all demographics, where improvisation and feel were king, and after recording and distributing two independent CD's, Toronto's very own JUKEJOINT is officially throwing in the towel.

The band in it's final incarnation of Steven Grebanier (guitar), D'arcy Rittich (bass), Frank Zochil (keys) and Dave Patel (drums) wish to thank all of the friends of their music who supported the crew throughout the years and who always believed in the band. They'd also like to acknowledge and thank all of the musicians who played as members and those who sat in over the years. These include, David Peters (drums), Peter Telford (bass), Gordon Webster (keys), Rich Levesque (bass) and Paul Vienneau (bass). They're contributions were resoundingly rich and helped to keep every show and recording fresh and exciting.

The list of promoters, organizers, club owners, booking agents, festivals, writers, radio programmers, DJ's, bands, and friends is far too extensive to acknowledge individually. All that can be said is, thank you for your belief and support.

A collection of JUKEJOINT's music will remain on-line and available for download for sometime. The CD's will also remain available.

Please feel free to "choose to groove" at www.jukejoint.ca.

bbye

sigh....

it happends all the time. it seems i have a different taste in jambands than most, and for some reason, i seem to loose them all.

My absolute favorite was lost years ago, when Jomomma dispanded from their seven piece funk outfit. never has local live music done to me what they did.

never have i seen a band sell out a bar on a Tuesday night, half an hour before their show!

So shit went down with them, and before i knew it, they were a four piece.

As time passed, i found myself catching the tail end of the Fat Cat smoke. The FC'S can be two different bands. As trevor said to me after hooking him up with a tuesday night show, "this isn't the Fat Cats I remember."

Well, your right, its a Tuesday night show. A rehearsal show for the band. (as todd says about their casbah/luna/pjc shows.)

As their interest in the band faded, i guess mine did too. Sucks watching the band go through the motions.

Finally, i started getting into Jukejoint. Being so much tighter then the average Jamband, and their jamming being so much more advanced, i took to them immediatly. Sure enough, same thing happends.....

Jukejoint have been around for almost a decade! Where have they been all my life! I see shows from H-town in 2000 and 2001...did they not have advertising? What i would have done to see the progression of that amazing band.....

But alas, that option is gone...

Oh well...I wish the individual members of JJ all the best, as they certainly deserve it. Hopefully we can see some individual parts of JJ floating around, jamming, trying out new things...

[Confused]

ps. anyone remember the groovediggaz? they were great as well...

i would have to say that jukejoint was probably the most technically happening outfit i've seen at the independant level.

I've seen their drummer play as fast and as well as anybody i've heard (including any 'pro'). His hands were moving faster then my eye could watch - blew me freekin away.

hopefully these guys get new bands together so we can continue to enjoy their talents, if not collectively...

on a personal level i am extra dissapointed cause I know Jonas was looking forward to blowing some sax with them at the upcoming Lancaster Tavern show...that would have been great

I will miss Jukejoint, and was also stoked that Jonas was going to be sitting in with them for a few tunes. That thought still makes me smile ...

Having said that, I am excited to announce that Dave Patel, Jukejoint's drummer, will still be at the Friday April 4 show in Kitchener as part of Special Ed & the Musically Challenged. I spoke with Dave last night and he has decided that he wants to focus his original live music energy on Special Ed rather than splitting his time between 2 bands. Special Ed has just finished a new cd and I am excited to have them on April 4.

Dave Patel is a fantastic drummer and a really nice guy, and although I was really bummed to read that Jukejoint was calling it quits, I am happy that Dave will still be out on April 4 with Special Ed.

Peace, Mark

Archived