Jambands.ca

Pretty touchy about your precious wanker band...

kung

I liked the comment about how Phish was so on the surface, no real substance blah blah. That's true in alot of ways, although I think their songs will stick around longer than SCI's. I have no doubt they're tight as hell either, I've done my best to listen to as much as I can and like their jamming even if it can be derivative.

My initial post was about how they don't have the depth of experience required to write great songs (I'd tend to say the same about Phish or Trey 'if everything in the world was a nail...'). No matter what anyone says that is a sound point. Somebody went off the hook about their range of styles and influences, but that's composition or playing style not songwriting. Their lyrics, they're whole vibe, they're whole existence reeks of an eternally cheery pukiness that can only come from a bunch of ski bums making six figures annually. Alot of their songs are really feeble, insipid and contrived- I believe mawkish is the best word.

I don't understand how anyone could try and deny that. Think about how The Band wrote and performed music- it's a completely different stratosphere. String Cheese could never write one Robbie Robertson tune and they probably realize that. I don't think they're confused about their deficiencies as artists, maybe a little deluded but not confused.

Dont you even realize that for every instance you use of SCI, you could replace that with Phish?

Not that I would agree with any of that either, but it would work much the same. Phish doesnt have enough Americana in them to write a great song and they never really lived outside of an upper middle class home......

I dont remember about any of them living in the mission.

You could never compare Phish songs to songs by the Band or by THE BAND.......so dont compare SCI songs to anything aside from SCI songs.....

If we were to do that, do you think I could listen to any lyricists aside from Dylan, Lennon or Hunter?

If this debate is about lyrics...I'm out of it. I rarely ever hear the lyrics, I'm just listening to the melody,harmony, rhythm and of course, the improvised suprise.

That's what excites me. I don't think you can listen to both at once. It's not like driving a car and carrying on a conversation. It's more like watching a movie AND reading a book at the same time, it can't be done.

What does writing a great song mean to you?

Its amazing how you can actually compare phish and string cheese. yes, string cheese is ok, but they certainly not number two behind phish. and for those who put them number one, well, you've definatetly sniffed too, too much glue. for the people who are heavily sticking up for the cheese, i think its because they want to stick up for something that they think it will become as big and as special as phish was. String cheese will never be as special as phish was, cause lets face it, if it wasn't for the loss of phish, sci would still be small and like their name implies, cheesy. Kung, you have good views, just are very harsh in implying them. Other than phish, i feel, steve kimock, bela fleck/flecktones, mmw, and tab are all much better and more talented than sci. lukily only tab has jumped on the "superhero" tour, charging more than phish. Any band that can charge more than phish, is stuck up, "bunch of ski bums making six figures annually!"

peace

p.s. i'd put the fat cats ahead of sci for actually "SONG LYRIC WRITING ABILITY"

Did u fully not understand what I posted yesterday.. enjoy music... be glad we have it to enjoy... just because you dont love String Cheese who cares... I do, i enjoy there sounds and I consider myself a Phish head... does that make me any less into Phish?... why keep this stupid argument growing .. thats totally not what art is about.. damn that Monet is killer... but Da Vinci sucks ass compared to him... lame!

I dont think i actually said i didn't like string cheese, its just when people are making them sound like they are the greatest think since sliced bread, its my mind to tell what i think, and someone who posts "did you not fully understand what i said" makes my point even further. Nothing good "come from a bunch of ski bums making six figures annually!"

Who is this band "bunch of ski bums making 6 figure salaries" is that SCI you are referring to, its fine if you don't like them, but lots of good is coming from them. When you are judging music you either like something or its not for you. You can't say something is bad. And it is definitely funny when you start saying FatCats write better songs then SCI.

String cheese will never be as special as phish was, cause lets face it, if it wasn't for the loss of phish, sci would still be small and like their name implies, cheesy

hmm, once again lets try this:

Phish will never be as special as The Grateful Dead was, cause lets face it, if it wasn't for the loss of The Grateful Dead, Phish would still be small and like their name implies, phishy

I cant believe I am back in 1996 again....

Wont kids ever learn?

Archived