Jambands.ca

Warning - Rape Drug in Ottawa Area

h

Police urge bars to curb drug-related sexual assaults

Ottawa - Bars in Gatineau are adapting to the arrival of the date-rape drug.

The alarm was sounded after at least half a dozen women in the Ottawa region were sexually assaulted.

The drug GHB has shown up in local bars. Three women in the last month have had their drinks spiked and were sexually assaulted.

A dark cloud of suspicion has made bartenders more attentive. Karl Lessard of the Quatre Jeudis bar in Hull says he has a lot of regulars, so now only has to keep an eye on the rest.

"By seeing a new person, you get to know them a bit more and maybe get a bad feeling or something," says Lessard.

Gatineau police say other bars are doing more. They're scooping up abandoned drinks the moment their owners hit the washrooms or the dance floor. Better an angry client, they say, than a drugged woman.

Gatineau police Lieutenant Yves Martel says spiking a drink is very easy.

"It takes a few seconds and it's really hard for the personnel of the bars to see that and find something wrong," says Martel.

Martel says Gatineau police are urging bar owners to put posters in women's toilet stalls. Warning them of the possible danger back at their table.

[Eek!] Thanks for the warning h. I've always been told by my friends that I'm too paranoid about things like that, unfortunately it takes the actually occurance of GHB or something like it to make people aware of the danger.

Remember chiquitas, if you put a drink down and turn your back to it, don't bother picking it up. Another drink's only a few bucks, an infinitesimal cost when compared to the other possibilities. [Eek!]

Hahaha. It's funny this should come up because today "Lucy"* and I went out for lunch. She apologized for her cousin "Josie's"* behavior on Saturday night at Drums and Tuba (passed out in the bathroom). she said to me "You know Ms. Hux., Josie displayed many of the signs of that date rape drug that night., do you think it's possible someone spiked her drink?"

To which I replied "I think she's just a lush who can't handle three glasses of wine".

Lucy: "Yeah, you're right."

*names not really protected

quote:

Originally posted by bradm:

I think the danger wasn't DF getting hit with something, it was something getting with (or by) DF...

Or his glasses, or some other non-secured object on his person.

quote:

As to Josie, passing out (or was it maybe just a quick nap?) on three glasses of wine might have a bunch of explanations: inexperience, empty stomach, other medications (e.g., allergy pills), etc.

Yeah, that was my point.

quote:

IIRC, she walked out under her own power looking moderately chipper.

Being at the door, I saw Josie and Lucy leave. Josie did not look good. She was quite definitely getting some physical support from Lucy.

Thank you, arcane, bradm... I think. [Roll Eyes] (And I would have been sick even without the drink, it was purely a case of eating too much beforehand plus not dancing all-out since EtH Jan 3.)

I've always believed it could happen, to anyone (and I'm not one to think some women can't use it on men, or going same-gender), but it was sobering to hear it even happens in the club itself - I gather it was the main room? Then again, some have decidely private corners, where you can't see much from the waist down when sitting...

No matter how I'd like to pound people I'd find doing that to someone, I know realistically the best I can do is alert bar staff or the bouncer. Then it's their job to pound the person to mulch.

Granted, Josie's kinda slight, but I'm one of the smaller folks on the board and there would have to be something else seriously affecting my system for me to pass out at all. Three glasses of wine isn't much.

Throwing up should happen way before passing out, and on only three glasses??

Man.. that scares the shit out of me... Maddak YOu can never be too paranoid in a situation like that... Keep being careful!! [Frown] A friend of mine was slipped a Rufie... it's scary and real.. I'm sure you all know this though .. Take care of yourselves girls...

Cheers..

Sarah

quote:

Originally posted by arcane:

Gotta wonder if Dancingfool got hit with it by accident :>

I think the danger wasn't DF getting hit with something, it was something getting with (or by) DF...

As to Josie, passing out (or was it maybe just a quick nap?) on three glasses of wine might have a bunch of explanations: inexperience, empty stomach, other medications (e.g., allergy pills), etc. IIRC, she walked out under her own power looking moderately chipper.

Of course, we'll need to do more research to get a definitive answer...

Aloha,

Brad

Thanks Sarah, I plan on sticking to my principles on this one. Unfortunately it took a girl being raped in a bar that we were at one night (actually being raped IN the bar, surrounded by like 1500 people) for my friends to realize that hey, stuff like that actually happens. Stuff like that is not cool, it's easy to avoid, but if it happens, it's hell to try and get over and move on with your life.

Jesus Christ Kids!! If ya start feelin "funny" take a cab home..keep you re drinks close by...and just because youre paranoid doent mean that someones not after you...Girls,the firstb effect of this drug is like climbing a "Nyquil" buzz at 100 miles an hour then being just plain dumb in the head and confused...please be careful...

Willing to kick anybody's ass...try pudds... [big Grin]

My cousin from Calgary got her drink spiked a few years ago. Fortunately, she got home before she passed out. Equally frightening: recently, a friend of mine got his drink spiked by a gay guy. Fortunately he made it home alone before he passed out for 13 hours on his kitchen floor. This goes to show that straight guys are at risk too.