Jambands.ca

It's been way too long since I ..............

CyberHippie

If you like "Bitches Brew", there are a couple of others you should consider picking up. First, there's a multi-CD set of the complete Bitches Brew sessions; it's expensive (and I don't have it), but it's reported to be fantastic.

Slightly cheaper is "It's About That Time", which is a Miles quintet that wasn't recorded live very much; it's from the Fillmore East in 1970, IIRC. It's essentially "Bitches Brew" live, and has similar content to the "Black Beauty" album, but without the cuts. It's 2 CDs, and worth every penny.

Aloha,

Brad

Hey Puddles, if you want a great music site, with all the Miles reviewed and cross-referenced, check out this: allmusic.com. It's the website for the popular guides/books: All Music Guide; All Movie Guide etc... I check out this site daily. I go crazy with the excellent reviews, write-ups and bios.

Yeah i'd have to say Live Evil or Dark Magus are sweeter than bitches brew, but essential listening is also Agarhta and Pangaea, the afternoon/evening concerts from Japan....amazing.

But the overlooked classic for me is the soundtrack to 'Jack Johnson' - it fuggin rocks. The guitar is right up front(well over to one side actually) but it sounds wicked.

quote:

Originally posted by Tungsten Gruvsten:

Yeah i'd have to say Live Evil or Dark Magus are sweeter than bitches brew, but essential listening is also Agarhta and Pangaea, the afternoon/evening concerts from Japan....amazing.

I've got the recent re-issue of "Dark Magus" (in the cardboard digi-fold packaging) and the old re-issue of "Pangea" (normal plastic double-thick 2-CD case), and while the music is similar (that whole "scorched earth" pre-retirement Miles), the sound on "Dark Magus" is, IMHO, 'way better than "Pangea": it's fuller, richer, and has higher levels. Does "Agharta" sound similar to "Pangea"? I don't have it yet (it's on the to-get list), and have to get the to-get list in priority order.

Thanks,

Brad

Agharta and Pangaea are afternoon and evening concerts of the same day recorded with the same gear-as similar sounding as albums could get. Really could be a 4 CD set.

The digipak rereleases have all been cleaned up and remastered, and generally sound better than all the other live Miles. I'd say the only digipak release i don't like so much is the Philharmonic Hall 72 show....I dunno, just doesn't go where the other ones do.

For something else milesish and cool, try Donald Byrd-Electric Byrd. 1970 release that sees Byrd's trumpet run through delays to make spaced out textured jazz romps....very cool.