Jambands.ca

A little art appreciation

Guest Low Roller

Looks neat. I also like Galerie Morpheus, which features the work of a number of artists, including Giger (think "Aliens").

I have one of their books: Mind Fields has the work of surrealist Jacek Yerka and the fiction of Harlan Ellison. Morpheus approached Ellison to an intro for a book of Yerka's work; Ellison declined, but instead wrote a short-short story for each of about 30 of Yerka's paintings. The book has a painting on one page, with the story on the facing page. It's pretty intense, but is also funny and incredibly touching at times.

Aloha,

Brad

BradM i'm starting to think we're twins...just not sure which one of us is Devito....

I always thought I was the only one who owned Mindfields, and i'm a huge Harlan Ellison fan which led me to that book. His essays and short stories are fascinating-highly recommended. 'Essential Ellison' is pretty much everything he's written since he was 15...

I have most of the Morpheus books(my sister owns a book store and gets me 30% of-thank god cause they're pricey!) including 2 huge Giger picture books, as well as De Es Schwertberger-Heavy Light....great stuff.

I'm really into Surrealism and off-the-wall stuff-some favourites are:

Salvador Dali <-the man!

Robert Williams - http://www.robert-williams.com/RWsite.html

This guy blows my top off as well...his art contains many different styles and taboo topics...but the bonus is reading the 3 separate titles he bestows each painting with...pure genius!!!

Frank Kozik - http://www.fkozik.com/mod.php?mod=showinmain&page=http://hosting.glizard.com/fkozik.com/gallery/

Stanislaw Kors - http://www.art.co.za/stanislawkors/

Revolutionary stuff, i can't even describe it really...

Rene Magritte - his art isn't -technically- allowed on the internet due to copyright laws...but a google image search oughtta fix that...My favourite is 'Time Transfixed' -a steam engine train coming out of a fireplace...

M.C. Escher - When math and art(be it audio or visual) collide my brain hurts. Always reminds me of e.e. cummings the poet...

quote:

Originally posted by Tungsten Gruvsten:

I always thought I was the only one who owned Mindfields, and i'm a huge Harlan Ellison fan which led me to that book. His essays and short stories are fascinating-highly recommended. 'Essential Ellison' is pretty much everything he's written since he was 15...

There's a new edition of EE: it's now a 50-year retrospective, rather than the previous 35-year version. It's the same format and look, but has a reddish cover (rather than cream) IIRC.

I think EE is probably one of my desert island books. It's tough for me to decide: I've got around 40 of his books (not including the issues of Dream Cooridor), with a few duplicates (usually paperbacks I bought first, then found in hardcover). (I might be up for some trades, if you have any you want to get rid of.)

The pride of my collection is either "The Illustrated Harlan Ellison" (comic/graphic novel version of some of his stories, complete with the 3-d glasses) or the signed/numbered/boxed edition of "Slippage" (for which I waited over a year and a half). I've also got the originally-published versions of the "I, Robot" screenplay and "Xenogenesis" (both from "Isaac Asimov's Science Fiction Magazine", IIRC).

My most recent acquisition is a trade PA copy of "Medea: Harlan's World", which I picked upat Jamie Fraser Books, which is a great shop on Queen St. W. (near Spadina) for SF/fantasy/horror.

OK, I'm an Ellison junkie. He reminds me of Zappa or Miles Davis, not in the work itself, but in the approach to the work: Ellison, Zappa, and Davis all do/did what they do/did, and the way they do/did it, because they can't not do it, and can only do it that way. Ellison takes a typewriter (an old manual, on which claims to hit 120 wpm, two-finger style) with him when he leaves town, because he never knows when he's going to have to write a story. You'd see Zappa writing sheet music in airport lounges, stuff he knew would never get performed (he claimed to have a closet full of thousands of pages of music), but he still wrote it because he couldn't not write it. I saw an interview with Miles Davis, who made some comment about hearing music in his head. "Do you hear it all the time?" "Yeah, I hear it all the time." "Are you hearing music now?" "Yeah, I'm hearing music now."

That, to me, typifies true art: the inability not to make art.

OK, I'm rambling (maybe I'm a true rambler...), but this is a subject about which I'm pretty passionate.

quote:

M.C. Escher - When math and art(be it audio or visual) collide my brain hurts. Always reminds me of e.e. cummings the poet...

Do you have Godel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid, by Doug Hofstadter? This book is a wonder, a delight, and has the ability to take you into some seriously twisted places.

Aloha,

Brad

P.S. I don't think I could be deVito or Arnie: I'm about 6' 2" tall, but have a thin/lanky build.