Jambands.ca

Why are American crowds better than Canadian?

TimmyB

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Jaimoe, I really liked what you said about how the different genres of music "... is imbedded into the fabric of U.S. culture and the collective American melting-pot psyche."

Most music that we listen to is "U.S. born" or at very least U.S. influenced.

I've never seen Tool though I really have to go next time they come around. I really regret missing Tool when they played Copps a little while ago.

I haven't seen Tool either, but I won't miss them when they come back to Toronto, or Hamilton. They are the Pink Floyd of metal. In his own way, Maynard is every bit the magnetic leader Tom Yorke is.

When it comes to sporting events, I've seen all four of the North American sports live. And there is nothing I love more in sport than to see a NFL game anywhere in America. It truly is a eye opening experience and kills the crowds at CFL games.

I must make an effort to one day go to Michigan and see a NCAA football game. 100,000 people going crazy for the pig skin! It must be even more overwhelming.

Hey Jaimoe, We have to get together and see a show or at very least talk music. I really agree with most things that you say on this board and it sounds like you have impeccable taste.

Tom Yorke spells his name Thom Yorke. I wish Radiohead performed at bonnaroo this year, I really want to see 90,000 hippies see Radiohead live at the same time.

Hey Jaimoe, I really liked what you said about how the different genres of music "... is imbedded into the fabric of U.S. culture and the collective American melting-pot psyche."

Jazz, rock, blues, bluegrass, country and hip-hop are part of Americana. Music and the history of American pop culture in the late 19th and 20th centuries has helped shape the America that we see today. By comparison, Canada has hockey, but I wouldn't trade that for anything.

Tom Yorke spells his name Thom Yorke. I wish Radiohead performed at bonnaroo this year, I really want to see 90,000 hippies see Radiohead live at the same time.

I knew that, but in my haste, I forgot the h. Thanks.

If you are planning on hitting the first Pixies show in the fall in T.O., then we just may cross paths. Other than that, I usually try to catch nero whenever they hit Toronto or Kingston ( when I'm not working ). I miss them more than I see them unfortunately.

If you are ever in Toronto, let me know. Give me a week's heads-up notice. Some places I like to go to are Chicago's for blues, The Duke of Glocester on Sunday nights for Open Mic Night and The Silver Dollar for bluegrass on Wednesdays.

I'll be heading into Toronto next week for Sting on Wednesday, and Chris Hillman and Bernie Leadon for the Gram Parsons tribute on Saturday. You really should go to the Parsons tribute show. Hillman will also perform with his partner Herb Pederson and will be performing some country/bluegrass material.

didn't read the whole thread but my take is because you don't have to be loud and obnoxious to appreciate good music, or hockey. I think the average maple leaf fan is very knowledgable about the game and doesnt' need to cheer every play. they would rather sit back and analyze the plays and pay attention rather than screaming like an a-hole. same goes for concerts. or we are too polite and don't want to upset the players.

I'm not talking about screaming like an a-hole, which probably happens more at shows in America as they are in my experiences louder crowds than us Canadians.

What I'm talking about is giving huge overwhelming standing ovations at the end of songs or at the apex of a solo or at the end of the show when you want the band to come out and perform an encore.

Showing your appreciation and interacting with the band on stage so they know you just enjoyed what they just performed. Then just maybe they'll be inspired to give the audience more than what they were even expecting to give.

Concerts to me are a very spiritual experience, and I feel that music is has a magical element to it that hasn't been completely explored, if it even can be.

Like a sermon on a Sunday morning when someone in the audience screams out "Amen!" to the preacher on stage giving the sermon. It's the same when you're at a blues concert and someone screams out, at the right time "Tell it Brother!" to the artist on stage playing their heart out.

That artist feels the love and recognizes that the audience understands what he or she is doing on stage. By sitting down and politely clapping they feel nothing because clapping is expected at the end of the song, period.

I agree most concerts in Canada people are not loud enough and do not get into it. At the jazz fest and bluesfest people sit in there chairs, taking up much more room than if people were standing. At yesterdays Hip show there was a rule that no lawn chairs were alowd. It made for a great crowd. The energy there yesterday was really good and really loud. I wish more shows in Ottawa and toronto are like yesterdays hip show.

I would have to say it definetly has alot to do with Toronto--- If you go see a band of little or no noriety outside of a specific scene, you will see the same sort of energy at a venue in Canada then you would in the States, but, Toronto gets the big names, and then you get alot of tickets ending up in the hnads of people who don't value music, or entertainment for much more than an alternative date, or businees meeting. Toronto officially sucks as a city--in general. worst city ever to see a show.

Not to beat a dead horse, but please don't lump Quebec audiences in with those of Ottawa and Toronto.

And go see Tool if you get the chance. They're the only heavy band I give the time of day, seen them 4 times, would definitely see them again. I'd correct Jaimoe though, I think Radiohead is the modern day Floyd and Tool is Genesis. Art-metal?

Hey dave-O, I covered how Montreal crowds were great in my opening post. While living in Ottawa from 1994-1997 attending Carleton, I went to several shows in Montreal, and the crowds were great.

Bands I've seen in Montreal that I have also seen in Toronto are Eric Clapton, Page And Plant, AC/DC, The Black Crowes and Lenny Kravitz and the crowds were all better in Montreal. They weren't just better they were amazing!

I guess I should have made the post "Why are all crowds better than Ontario crowds?" As I have read enough posts about prejudice comments about American people, which I don't like to read.

I'm just talking about the response Americans (and Quebecers) give to the bands on stage at any given concert, that often seems to insire bands and make them feel appreciated. Not negative stereotypes that are lumped on the people of the United States of America.

It makes me sad to read such stereotypes on this board, especially on the post that I have made here. I would guess that many Americans read this board and are apart of this board. Some of the things that have been written on this post could cause them to think that Canadians are arrogant and pompous.

I'd have to say Vancouver is even more lame then Toronto.

When it comes to the big arena shows, everyone seems too reserved or overly considerate of the person behind them to shake their asses. I haven't been to many shows in the states that weren't jamband or hip hop so I can't compare but i could have said the same thing about T.O. vs VANCOUVER that timmy posted about U.S. vs Toronto, when I lived there.

americans seem less afraid to express themselves...if they like it they say so...if they don't like it ... they pipe up...they don't seem overly worried about reprisal...they can always invade...

if you're not afraid to get beat up you may be more willing to say something...less fear enable allows them to be their freaky fun-loving selves...they don't seem to care as much about how they are perceived as some Canadians do...

I understand this principle...I am a fairly large human and I have always felt that it has made it easier for me to say what I think because there was a decent chance I wouldn't get my head beat in...it also helps if you have something to say ... thanks!

I'd correct Jaimoe though, I think Radiohead is the modern day Floyd and Tool is Genesis. Art-metal?

I hate Genesis almost as much as I hate The Tea Party, Nickelback and Depeche Mode, so I won't accept your correction. How about Yes then? I do agree that Tool is art-metal. I think that Tool's Maynard and Thom Yorke are comparable rock music visionaries.