Jambands.ca

John Butler Trio - El Mocambo Oct.5

Jay Funk Dawg

Is that your show jay? Good choice if it is. I generally find Australians really annoying (except the hot chicks) but I actually like what Butler is doing. Well I like his last album and not his first to be honest. I think he was basically just a hippy busker who built a following and is I guess sort of the Ben Harper of Australia. Off the top of my head the song of his that sticks out is Weaker Man (title?).

He played at The Comfort Zone back in the fall of 2002 - it was one of the only shows that HOB put at the Zone (I'm thinking because the guy has dreads and played at the first (?) Bonnaroo), and he was fabulous. Like zero says, you can definitely see the Ben Harper connection...politically active, folky, percussive, and even often plays that same rare lap steel with the name that escapes me. I would definitely recommend checking him out, but unfortunately I gotta work that night. Oh yeah, Mark Wilson & The Way It Is opened for him that night at the Cozone, so any one of those guys could probably attest to his talent as well.

I have caught him in both a 500 sized bar and a 5000 sized festival setting...he is both solid and forgettable IMO...But deffinately worthwhile catching if he's playing the ElMo.

His sh!t builds quite nicely and can get quite raging (for a trio)...he employs very good use of his stomp box (a mic'd wooden box that he uses percussively with his foot) His message is strong - he's a heavy environmentalist, big time tree hugger, but in a live setting you may be hard pressed to understand WTF he is saying as he moans in his Aussie drawl. He looks like a toothless, ticketless Phish Wook with a dog on a rope. I found myself wondering if he had bathed since landing on our shores...

....Overall...? GO! Get drunk. Hit on the "randy Sheila's" that will be abound. Yell out, incessantly, "Come on, then, let's throw some shrimps on the barby...." You won't be disappointed.....

xo