Jambands.ca

beginner guitarist needs song suggestions

Schwa.

Just learn to chord along with any tunes that get you excited. The main thing is to have stuff that keeps you coming back because it feels good. If you do this by ear, its good training for your ear (not that you can't learn a lot from tab).

Technique can come with time. You'll learn more and more technique as you go back and learn all the fills and tough parts of songs that you started chording along with.

Just get amped about playing and download some chording tab for songs that you love. Just know in advance that most tab that you'll download from the internet is riddled with flaws (fixing it is more opportunity to learn technique and to tune your ear)

I'm not sure about specific songs, but one piece of advice I have is to start learning and using barre chords as early as possible (ideally right along with learning/using first position chords). With barre chords, you can easily change keys (or play songs that aren't in typically "guitar" keys like A and E), and you also get a feel for the relationships between chords in a song (e.g., knowing which chord is the I, which is the IV, and which the V).

Aloha,

Brad

The first song I ever learned was House of the Rising Sun, easy.

I think it's the law that you have to learn house of the rising sun as your 1st song.

Then I'm a law-breaker, as I think the first one I learned was "Communication Breakdown" by Led Zeppelin (using the 5th position barre chords for the D and the A). After that, it was probably "Day Tripper" by the Beatles, and "Sunshine Of Your Love" by Cream (the playing of at least one of which caused by brother to come striding into my bedroom proclaiming, "I recognize that!"...).

Aloha,

Brad

The first song I ever learned was House of the Rising Sun, easy.

I think it's the law that you have to learn house of the rising sun as your 1st song.

Then I'm a law-breaker, as I think the first one I learned was "Communication Breakdown" by Led Zeppelin (using the 5th position barre chords for the D and the A). After that, it was probably "Day Tripper" by the Beatles, and "Sunshine Of Your Love" by Cream (the playing of at least one of which caused by brother to come striding into my bedroom proclaiming, "I recognize that!"...).

Aloha,

Brad

I only say that because i know a bunch of people, in all diferent age ranges, that were taught house of the rising sun as their first song.

I'd recommend Alexander I & II. The Sweney solos should pretty much be the easiest thing you'll ever play, especially the 'screaming vortex' part. I have the utmost confidence in you! Just kidding, actually, about the solo parts, though I'm sure you could probably learn all kinds of hookah songs. My friend Andy tabbed out most of their songs, I'll find the website for ya... Glad to hear you're making good progress, though. Looking forward to hearing you play at the WP deali-o.

Your mom goes to college!

Steve-land