Jambands.ca

Inbreds Reunion

dave-O

WHAT WHAT WHAT???

if you like the bass/drums of death from above, this is the band that really started things moving for a rhythm section outfit.

the first guy that made me think that a capo on a bass was a smart idea was the bass player (google laziness...where's bradM when we need him?).

i might be out early...but don't EXPECT to see me there...

Hhaha, one of my funniest concert moments was back in the day just after Kombinator came out, we went to see the Inbreds, the Wooden Stars (who are reuniting too!!) and Thrush Hermit at the Embassy in London. We get all smoked and drinked up, and my buddy Dave passes out at a table right next to the bass bins at the front left of the stage. The Inbreds had been playing for about half an hour when all of a sudden Dave wakes up from his sleep, frantically starts running around in circles screaming "WHERE'S THE GUITAR??? WHERE'S THE GUITAR??"...... We had to take him outside to laugh it off, but Mike O'Neill bust out laughing and fu©ked up the song and had to start it over. It was a classic moment.

AD

hahah, you missed the Superfriendz reunion? They actually did a tour, that's why it's funny... It was last summer or the one before at Babylon, and it sucked hard. $15 for an hour show, it was sloppy, the only redeeming moment was a huge 'Turn It On' by Genesis tease.

Superfriendz were my favourite band for so long, I still keep them in my car / home stereo for long stints at a time. Mock Up Scale Down is a perfect pop record. Slide Show has its moments but pales compared to the PERFECTION of Mock Up...

Find me a better Canadian pop record... I dares ya.

AD

Twice Removed is good, but I still maintain that Mock Up is waaaay better. Sloan had a huge budget and plenty of time for that record and while the songs are good, the songs on Mock Up are 100 times better. There's a moment I just love on Mock Up; In the middle of Rescue us From Boredom the drummer misses the snare and hits the rim by accident and they leave it in, it just sounds so great that they left it in.

Eric's Trip reunion has already happened as well. You guys are too late for everything!

As for Eric's Trip happenings: Julie is by far my favourite, I'll try to scan a pic I have of me and her from a Wooden Stars show at the Downstairs Room in Ottawa back when her and the Stars were recording their awesome album. She knew my friend Melissa and invited us down to her place in Montreal to meet her new kid (this was her first child.) I'm still madly in love with her.

The new Elevator album is AWESOME. Click here to read a recent review.

Anyways, Dave-O, I respect your opinion but it's obvious you're high on all types of drugs ::

AD

Twice Removed's category is called 'Underneath Superfriendz'

Would we really be having this conversation if Chart Magazine didn't call it the best Canadian record of all time? 2nd and 3rd place was Blue and Harvest... C'mon.

Mock Up Scale Down has more interesting arrangements, better harmonies, better playing, varied song types / tempos, better lyrics, and the best part is that smarmy bastard Chris Murphy sings none of the songs!!

I saw the Superfriendz once open for Sloan when they had just released the Play the Game Not Games EP and Sloan themselves said the Superfriendz were better! Plus Drew Yamada can change and tune 3 guitar strings, mid-song, while singing, in under 4 minutes flat. These guys were goooooooooood. And they quit before they got watered down like Sloan.

Andrew Scott is the best songwriter in Sloan, Chris Murphy is just there to crack jokes and do leg kicks.

AD

It's obvious that the drugs I'm on are are much better than the ones you're on.

But AD, this might be the smartest thing you've ever said:

Andrew Scott is the best songwriter in Sloan,

Also, the Local Rabbits and Trush Hermit were both better bands than Super Friendz.

Local Rabbits & Thrush Hermit better than Superfriendz? Please. You're just saying that because Jay Ferguson produced You Can't Touch This and Thrush Hermit was in the first Underwhelmed video.

I think I've seen Thrush Hermit more than any other band except the Rheostatics, and I know they're awesome, but the Superfriendz had the gift of subletie and nuance. And while Slide Show was somewhat of a poor album, it wasn't nearly as bad as Sweet Homewrecker. That thing is terrible.

I remember my first Thrush Hermit show was when I was in Grade 9, probably 92 or something, at the Volcano in Kitchener with Furnaceface and Jale and Eric's Trip, this was before the John Boomer cassette came out, which was about 2 years before Smart Bomb. I thought they were good and had lots of promise, but the first time I saw the Superfriendz I was BLOWN AWAY. They had everything, the hooks, the harmonies, they playing, the interplay, the stage show... They made the Local Rabbits look like a gimmick. And the Local Rabbits were good. The Local Rabbits were too ambitious on You can't Touth This, and they were too sloppy live for me to hold them in the same light as the Superfriendz. Of course Thrush Hermit grew up and became a great band over time in front of everyone, but the Superfriendz from Day One were professional, polished, and tight like Steely Dan's a$$hole.

I dunno about you Dave-O... Next you're gonna say Hardship Post are better than the Guess Who (bonus points to anyone who can connect Hardship Post to the Guess Who in less than 5 steps)

AD