Jambands.ca

Such a kind and loving God

ollie

Whoa. I totally missed these comments by Jimmy Swaggart. That someone so loathsome can attract followers is scary.

Swaggart made [the following remark] during a discussion of same-sex marriage on a Sept. 12 broadcast that was carried by the Toronto station Omni 1.

"I'm going to be blunt and plain: If one ever looks at me like that, I'm going to kill him and tell God he died," Swaggart said.

Swaggart also said that politicians who are undecided on the issue of same-sex marriage "all oughta have to marry a pig and live with him forever."

Televangelist breached guidelines: ruling

The man knows no contrition. You'd think someone who almost destroyed the televangelism industry in the 80s for his own sexual improprieties would have learned a little humility from it. Unfortunately, I think his crowd thrive on contempt for others, which seems fitting for self-indulgent, health-and-wealth Christianity.

Zappa's got a great opener in the opening moments of Make a Jazz Noise Here (over "Stinkfoot") where he comments on Swaggart's little indiscretions with the prostitute in question. Hmm, think I'll put that on right now, come to think of it.

Swaggart must be sick over the fact that the Divorce Act in BC has now been extended to incorporate gay marriages, by declaring them true "marriages" in the first place...

Wednesday » June 15 » 2005

B.C.'s first gay divorce granted

Canadian Press

June 15, 2005

NANAIMO, B.C. (CP) -- Two Nanaimo women are the first same-sex couple in B.C. to be granted a divorce.

The women, who can only be identified by their initials, were married in Parksville in 2003.

In granting the divorce order on Wednesday, B.C. Supreme Court Justice Laura Gerow struck down the old definition of a married couple under the Divorce Act as being unconstitutional. The old definition referred to a man and woman but the new one refers to any two persons.

Lawyer Elisabeth Strain, a lawyer for one of the women, said the only way a divorce can be granted is to have the marriage considered valid in the first place, and that was done Wednesday.

She said if the Constitution allows people of the same sex to marry, similar legal grounds must apply for divorce.

© Canadian Press 2005

http://www.canada.com/vancouver/theprovince/news/story.html?id=61754155-6790-4626-96e0-7ee82dda7585

I had to lecture tonight on 19th and 20th c. Christianity, and got into the whole William Miller / 7th Day Adventist / Jehovah's Witness millenarian business. Those folks just about never gave up predicting the Second Coming, in spite of scriptural injunctions against it. The JWs had nearly a dozen dates pass them by before they figured it might be counterproductive for them to keep issuing them. Yet people keep falling for it.... Makes you wonder what sort of desperation and insecurity drives the effort.

I'm more troubled, though, by the kind of people that would do what they can to jumpstart it all, and fuck up an otherwise good existence for the rest of us. Frighteningly, they seem to have found their way into the White House.

I'm more troubled, though, by the kind of people that would do what they can to jumpstart it all, and fuck up an otherwise good existence for the rest of us. Frighteningly, they seem to have found their way into the White House.

after the last US (s)election, the winning team kept saying that God wanted GWB in the White House. Maybe it's true, and God is so fed up with all of us that she has decided to hasten the End Of Days by putting Shrub in charge of the toboggan ride to the end.

"Lord save me from your followers :) "