Jambands.ca

I'm really starting to like that Harper guy

GWB

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreeing to disagree... way I see it is that negatively, it means the parties return to their camps to load up their weapons, or positively, that people recognise their difference and commit to sticking around long enough to see through it.

I see the Conservatives banking on the first option. They'll have all the resources of the state to deal with any dissent that arises (even if it's using formal procedures to keep them out of any future deliberations - it's always key to watch who gets invited to the table). Unless, with any luck, a victory for them is with the slightest of all possible minorities, which will compel them to keep communication with their opponents open.

whoa whoa whoa.....i stop reading the politico shit for 2 days!

first...i don't think that one can ever drink too much of ayn rands koolaid drawk. fuckin let that shit run through my veins. i wish i could find roarks court defense/arguement online so i don't have to type out 8 pages of stuff for all you kids to read. i haven't read such relevant words in SUCH a long time.

and i don't think you can blame the whole "anyone but the liberals and their scandal" vote for a conservative win here. there are 2, perhaps 3 other choices for people depending on where they live. if people lean left, why not go to the ndp? why hop over the fence and support ideals they don't agree with? maybe, and it might be hard for some people to believe this, but just maybe, people think that the cons have their shit together, or at least more so than the other options. maybe canadians really do want the cons in based on their ideals and what they've presented to the public. running and hiding from the problem till it goes away is a pathetic response in my opinion. if you love canada and believe in it, your reaction should be to stay and fight and change things so the next time around the cons don't win.

and what i think is REALLY sad, is that the university kids polled on the news last night knew the US leaders, but not the canadian ones. some knew the party they lead, some didn't, most didn't know names, but then again, that's just the clips they showed, that could be scewed, the didn't get %'s of total kids polled and what they knew. silly news people skewing things.

and it actually surprised me to see that spec article. i don't buy the spec, it's a torstar publication, but seeing anti lib stuff in a torstar publication really did surprise me. i can't believe they got away with it. again, another example of people being fed crap and taking it in like it's reality. the guy WAS in real estate, those people DO know how to flip homes...TONS of people flip homes. you see those late night "how to be a millionaire" infomercials? those people flip real estate and creat rental properties...it's a lucrative market. the guy did it by the books, but OOOOHHHH NO! a politician made money! oooooga booga! something must be wrong! the ironic part of it all is that the libs are so anti rich people and valeri kinda got caught by hs own principles there. ahhhh!! go read the fountainhead.

BradM for PM

I can't remember where I heard it, but someone once proposed a political system in which the job of the country's leader was horrible, so much so that no sane person would want it.

The leader was then chosen, at random, from the adults of the country, and had to remain in the (horrible) position until he or she did something right, at which point he or she would be removed from office, and replaced with the next victim. In short, the system makes it in an individual's best interest to do something right, whereas our existing system doesn't.

The only way I'd consider being PM is if such a system were put in place.

Aloha,

Brad

and it actually surprised me to see that spec article. i don't buy the spec, it's a torstar publication, but seeing anti lib stuff in a torstar publication really did surprise me. i can't believe they got away with it. again, another example of people being fed crap and taking it in like it's reality. the guy WAS in real estate, those people DO know how to flip homes...TONS of people flip homes. you see those late night "how to be a millionaire" infomercials? those people flip real estate and creat rental properties...it's a lucrative market. the guy did it by the books, but OOOOHHHH NO! a politician made money! oooooga booga! something must be wrong! the ironic part of it all is that the libs are so anti rich people and valeri kinda got caught by hs own principles there. ahhhh!! go read the fountainhead.

the Spec has been running a full out Liberal smear campaign every day for the past 2 weeks... regardless of ownership the Spec always has been a overtly right wing publication, barely over a tabloid... one reason people from outside of hamilton think hamiltonians are all welders and hicks

and for the record I love Ayn Rand =) learned more about twisted political agendas reading her books than from any other source... the lady had a down and dirty mind

i used to work for the spec, many moons ago, and i never really felt that right leaning, however, i wasn't as involved politically at that time.

i just don't buy it because i don't want even a penny of my money going to torstar, and as for content, i'd rather read the sun, it's on par and in an easier to read format.

have you ever picked up the free paper mayday here in hamilton paisley? i'm diggin it. i like it a lot better than view and now actually.

MayDay Magazine? if so, yeah... friends of mine put it out, I definately dig it... nice to see a free press in Hamilton

the Sun is a full out right-wing rag Alexis, I have no idea how you can think its "level", lol... and the weekend Toronto Star rocks, Sunday's "Ideas" section is the best section I've ever found in any newspaper... at least you're fun to party with ;)

hahahahahaha i didn't mean political allignment on par...i meant the quality of the writing is on par in my opinion.

i miss the toronto free dailies. i wish mayday was out more than once a month. you should into me to these friends sometime. i'd love to help out in some way.

and i don't think that the sun is a full out right wing rag. i think they're a bitch fest rag and will bitch about whoever's in power, and what they're doing wrond and blah blah. it's just that the libs have been in power so long that that's all they've had to bitch about. i remember them being all anti harris when he was around.

i'd love to read the idea's section you speak of. i'll read the paper, just won't pay for it. if that idea section is anything like TO's ideacity conference i'd love it.

for sure, Alexis... its basically the guys who run the Sky Dragon Community Development Co-op... they show excellent movies early Friday nights and are located right down the street from Pepperjacks (used to be in Gore Park)... we should stop in catch a movie and then hang around for the group discussion afterwards, then drag the Sky Dragon guys down the street to PJC to top it off

perfect, this week's movie is:

WAL-MART: THE HIGH COST OF LOW PRICE

a feature length documentary that uncovers a retail giant's assault on families and American values. The film dives into the deeply personal stories and everyday lives of families and communities struggling to fight a goliath. A working mother is forced to turn to public assistance to provide healthcare for her two small children. A Missouri family loses its business after Wal-Mart is given over $2 million to open its doors down the road. A mayor struggles to equip his first responders after Wal-Mart pulls out and relocates just outside the city limits. A community in California unites, takes on the giant, and wins!

Producer/Director Robert Greenwald and Brave New Films take you on an extraordinary journey that will change the way you think, feel -- and shop.

7:30 pm, $5 admission

will start saving "Ideas" sections for you... better than most magazines out there

Edited by Guest

drawk....you always surprise me by coming out of left field with stuff (that's a good thing)...and for someone i used to think twice about for using my dog's nickname as a screenname i've come to really like what you say and have regard for your opinion.

this is why it surprises me so MUCH that you buy into what they want you to believe! you are a second hander, keeping the creator down! man, this is a sad sad day. you sir...i believe are a real life toohey! hehehe thanks for finding those links for me! i'm such a lazy internet searcher

hahahahaha

well yes then, exactly!

I stopped believing in Santa Claus when my mother took me to see him in a department store, and he asked for my autograph.

- Shirley Temple

anyone who hasn't read The Fountainhead should read that Howard Roark Trial Speech dRawk posted... if you don't pop wood, you're impotent

......if i wasn't so caffeine and nicotine deprived right now i'd think of a witty comparison that says what i really mean....but i'm not a poet. i'm a novelist, and it takes me pages to get my point across. you people are lucky i trim it down.

it's not that roark is real...it's that the ideal and ideas he presents for the author in the book are valid ones and ones that ring true to me. it's like having a 6th toe...and hiding it, never wearing sandals...and one day finding someone else who has a 6th toe...you don't feel like such a freak anymore.

Alexis, I don't see how the Conservatives could be facing a possible majority government if it wasn't for a "anyone but the Liberals" attitude. I'm not naive enough to think that I will never see a Conservative governement but I'm also not naive enough to think that the general philosphical paradigm of the citizens of Canada has shifted so much in the past 23 months that a Conservative governement has been either earned or genuinely supported.

How different would this election be had there been no sponsorship scandal? Surely we would not be discusisng a potential Conservative majority.

Not 30 minutes ago, I was ordering lunch at a diner and could not help but overhear a conversation between two lawyers (I know they were lawyers based on recognition and their topics of conversation). One asked the other how they were voting. The other said "Conservative this time, I'm not gonna let the Liberals steal my money for the fucking frogs again!". Notwithstanding the fact that this relatively young lawyer - who I know a thing or two about - has enjoyed great success over the past ten years under a Liberal government, I still find his rationale for voting Conservative disturbing and depressing, a real-life addendum to my previously stated concern(s). I wonder if he knows what he's voting for although I'm sure I know what he's voting against.

Please, people, vote for the Conservatives if you honestly believe that they represent your values, that they have the right people to provide responsible government for you, and you are at least somewhat familiar with their vision for the future. I'd prefer you didn't, but that's where we'll have to "agree to disagree". I'm still happy you voted, period. But please don't vote for the Conservatives because you've only scanned the headlines recently and have concluded that the Liberals will continue to funnel yor tax dollars into dubious social engineering schemes. Think of the now, and the future, not the past. My God, you will be amazed and depressed at how your country looks in a few years hence under a Stephen Harper government.

i agree with you marco, on a lot of things. and i think, without the scandal, there would be no election right now. isn't that what brought down the house?

please people...if you have NO CLUE, about anything, don't vote for or against a party on one thing or another. if you can't take the time to look into things, go and refuse your vote on jan 23. tell the government that you don't care enough, or they don't stimulate you enough to actually care. only vote if you know what you're voting for.

man i'm not out of the country quite yet.

i think there's a large number of Canadians who don't really have an allegiance to any particular party at any given time. who, unfortunately, don't really understand the inner workings of politics per say and rather go with the flow (ie, voter momentum). it's these people's votes the liberals have been tying into year after year. so many years of success can grow a head. perhaps they should step back and realize that maybe they didn't have quite the fan base they thought.

i think there's a lot of sensationalism that comes along with politics. people get passionate, wrapped up in the times. i'd venture to say you should give more credit to that particular lawyer then what you took away from a passing comment marco. i'd venture to say that he is probably an intelligent man, intelligent enough to cast a vote on a whim far deeper than a headline. if we based everything on passing comments, man i'd hate the world.