Jambands.ca

Umphrey's McGee: Safety In Numbers

Prost

Has anyone heard the new UM album yet? Any thoughts? I've heard the three tracks that they are streaming on umphreys.com and I like the vibe in the song 'Believe The Lie'. I'd like to know what other people think of the new album. I've tried to find it in Hamilton but can't seem to get it.

I didnt like it the first time I heard it but the more and more I listen to it I love it. It's not what you'd expect from Umphrey's. Its more song focused than jam focused if that makes any sense at all...definately go pick up this album its fantastic!!!

Edited by Guest

Gonna give this one a try...I thought Anchor Drops sounded like hippy piss and gave it away but then I was in Bouches car and was BLOWN away by whatever he was playing and suprised to learn it was Umphs...huh.

I hope to check them out live...thats usually the best bet.

I'd love to know which show Bouche was playing and any particular recs would be nice.

My brief review:

Umphreys's McGee - Safety in Numbers - definately not where I thought UM would go on their next studio disk. More laid back, more acoustic guitars, not the usual amped up jazz rock fusion they excelled at on Anchor Drops. Good songs (aside from "Women Wine and Song" with special guest Huey Lewis on vocals and harmonica), with possibly UM's greatest emphasis on vocals yet. Strong vocal harmonies on a number of tunes make up for a lack of the fun, jumpy and moving dual lead guitar lines they're known for. Whereas in the past, UM developed songs with multiple parts, overlapping melodies and complex time and rhythmic structures, Safety in Numbers sounds more like safety in pop sensibilities. Shorter tunes, with more accessible structures leaves me wondering what exactly are they doing. Regressing? They seem to be moving more into radio friendly territory. Not that the result isn't good or up to their standard. However, I wanted more of Anchor Drops. But all in all, I like.

You have a futon awaiting, anytime, my friend.

If you were to show up this weekend, you could rock your face off until the end of this month. (Check out the West Coast Skanc board for the festivities going on. Woo hoo!)

I plan to snowboard right into the show on Sunday, just as Flowmotion hits the stage at 2:30.

I love this town.