Jambands.ca

Go Leafs Go - Fan Forum 08/09

badams

• Replies 492
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and this is news this season???

How has Toronto done this season in relation to what was expected of them?

How's Ottawa going to finish this year as to what was expected of them? even Montreal for that matter.

Who should be the most disappointed with the effort their team has put on the ice this year???

[color:purple]That's right ... the Sens planned on tanking the season to get the next saviour of the NHL in Tavares. Stanley Cup next year for sure for Ottawa, they're building a winner ;)

I'm saying it's not news...I was just surprised at Gerber's comment and decided to play off the cup parade comment to try and be funny.

Sorry to be so serious!

[color:purple]and no, the sens aren't tanking, they just want to make a dramatic entrance to the playoffs on the last day of the regular season and knock the Habs to ninth.

;)

Edited by Guest

Shit, it was worth a shot. Why not use a strategy/gamble that gets a cheating player off the ice who is a threat to score on your own team in the dying frame of a contest? Didn't work this time. Oh well.

I only caught the second half of the game (from Alfie's goal onward). The Sens' goals were good ones for sure. Even Rutuu made a nice defensive play (i think i just puked a little in my mouth ). Not as an exciting game as the last encounter.

Kev, I know how you feel. How DARE Grabovski, Mitchell, Brad May (2X), and Stempniak cheat with their interference, roughing and hooking!

Different. That is up to the refs to call.

Interesting point though AD. Why is it that a coach can contend the legality of a player's stick or goalie's pads, yet can't call for a replay on a situation like you described?

I heard today that at the GM meetings coming up they are going to discuss the possibility of more "standardized" goalie equipment. Something along the lines that it all must be within a measurement ratio based on the player's size.

You cheat with equipment, you get burned.

You cheat with moves on the ice, you only burn if you get caught.

Interesting point though AD. Why is it that a coach can contend the legality of a player's stick or goalie's pads, yet can't call for a replay on a situation like you described?

You seriously want coaches to have the ability to review a play for a penalty like in the NFL, maybe at a risk of losing a timeout or something??

That's just Horri-Awful... red flags or buzzing to have a penalty reviewed? How much would that kill the flow of the game? refs get paid to ref, and to make judgement calls... leave it alone~

No, I don't want that at all. I was trying to convey that calling a measurable offence like a stick can be. But the calls that AD was referring to should not, because it would be ridiculous, as you described.

Blame the refs for any conceived missed calls. The illegal stick call was completely legit. How can you blame Wilson for doing it?

Edited by Guest

To use a stick that is illegal is cheating:

cheat (chēt) Pronunciation Key

v. cheat·ed, cheat·ing, cheats

2. To violate rules deliberately, as in a game

Therefore you get penalized if caught. Now, we know Spezza is dumb as a post, so one could argue he may not have "deliberately" known he was cheating, but thems the breaks :P

To cross-check somebody is technically a "cheat" too, but it's up to the referee to determine whether the player pays the consequence. So, refs allow cheats all the time. The limits vary from ref to ref, unfortunately.

Spezza cheated :D He paid the price and his stick was removed from play. Fair.

Edited by Guest

To me, cheating is when you get away with it - you get an advantage at the expense of others. When you get a penalty, it's a great disadvantage.

But whatever. I'm glad you conceded that there were 4 instances of Leafs 'cheating' in that game too (by your definition, not mine)