Jambands.ca

a joe show - kingston stuff

bouche

I stumbled across this site and wondered whatever happened to the Joe Show... That yearly tribute to Joe Chithalen? From the main page it seems that when Wally died, noone took it over. Anyway, I thought it was a cool thing to find because he was such a huge presence in Kingston. When I started seeing live acts, he was in ALL of them in K-town. Michael George and the Jive, Wild Blues Yonder, Joy, Bloom, Weeping Tile, the Mahones, and so many more.

Here's a great interview

Photos of Joe

Funny you bring this up ... I'm on the board of directors for the Joe Chithalen Memorial Musical Instrument Lending Library, and two of my main tasks are a) revamping the migraine-inducing website (currently underway) and B) bring the Joe Show back to life. I'm hoping to announce the a very scaled-back, all local band version of the Joe Show in a couple of days ... Oct 10th at the Ale House.

Wild Blues Yonder, Bloom, the Mahones

I remember seeing all these bands while my buddy John was going to school in Kingston.

I forget the name of the bar where I used to see WBY - I think it had an airplane hanging from the ceiling but I could be mistaken. Bloom I saw at a resturant type place (Molly something or other I think), it had a ton of glass windows is about all I recall. Oh and a conga player with no shirt on & huge hair.

The Mahones, I saw numerous times, most memorable was the how at the Tivoli Theater here in Hamilton with Junkhouse, Doug Feaver and High Times (pre-Fat Cats days I believe) or Fatties perhaps, and a few others I am forgeting. Awesome band though.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention, I'm sure my buddy John will be interested in knowing about this as he was always mentioning Joe Chithalen's name to me.

Perhaps some of you Kingston folks would remember seeing him (John) around town (94-97 or so), he busked alot - playing his bagpipes in his kilt and whatnot. Tall skinny dude, with long hair. Not sure how many pipers busk around there but he did fairly often. Hungover breakfasts at the Wellington were our usual saturday deal (the enterprise platter FTW)

Aj Hangar - thank you. That was the place.

Never had any shoving matches there, just good times, good music and loads of booze.

Fat Cats at the Toucan(sp?) another awesome party, shoulder to shoulder at that, man it was tight in there. And getting physcally thrown out of Brandies for dropping rye & gingers seconds after I'd buy them, fun times - anyway, I don't want to detract from the subject of the thread with my hazy memories.

I sent a link to my friend to check out those sites. Thanks again.

btw, for anyone who is Kingston permanantly or frequently, the aforementioned Musical Instrument Lending Library is really fuggin cool. You quite literally borrow an instrument, same as you would a book from a standard library. Guitars, keys, drums, horns, winds, percussion, and a lot of very rare instruments are there. Most of the accessories are available too, amps, cases, pedals, etc.

Wow, I wish you'd mentioned the library earlier in the week! I was just moaning about not being able to travel with a guitar now that we have a little guy and all his gear. We're in Kingston at least a couple times a year.

I noticed that "The Mansion" seems to be where all the indie rock bands play now. Is that the old Akroyd's?