Jambands.ca

IPhone vs Blackberry

badams

I currently have a Blackberry and I am looking at either upgrading my Blackberry or jumping to an IPhone. I do not use my Blackberry for work though I primariy use it for texting and emailing. I find the web browsing to be sketchy at best.

I never thought I would care much about the lack of Apps for Blackberry compared to what the IPhone offers. Lately I have been adding apps to my Ipod Touch and love them. So the idea to switch to IPhone is there.

I love the key board of the Blackberry and BBM but the selection of Apps on the IPhone is fantastic.

What are your experiences out there?

I'd love to hear any pros and cons for both devices.

Mmmmmmm, if you're absolutely in love with a button style keyboard (and a lot of people are when it comes to business) but are starting to fall in love with a "rich app experience" (and yeah, blackberries aren't the best browsers) you may want to consider an android phone with a sliding keyboard. Android's business calendar app synched with your google account calendar is a game changer, I fucking love it.

If you think you can adjust to typing on a sheet of glass for all your business needs (I'm fine with it) and don't want to go android, grab an iphone. It's way more intuitive than android, has more apps (but android has lots of options) and I found it to be slightly more stable (iphones are rock solid).

edit: when it comes to battery life, blackberries tend to be better

Sorry no advice on your question.

Android's business calendar app synched with your google account calendar is a game changer, I fucking love it.

I have to agree. I use my google calendar regularly (appts/shows/jobs/reminders etc). The part I like the most is syncing my FB events/invites, and RSS events with google calendar and then again with my droid, and have it send me alerts in advance.

how much bloody typing do you need to do on a phone to make that such a big priority feature? ease up on the texting you tweener!

Not all of us have finger tips small enough to make even occasional texts/emails/adding contacts etc a pain in the ass.

If I had known how the texting (not just sms) was going to be I would have bought a phone with a keypad to be honest. Instead I use apps to increase my keyboard size and a walkie-talkie type app (Voxer) for sending quick 10-20 seconds voice messages instead.

I actually misread the initial post and thought he had business needs, thus the discussion about keyboards, my bad.

I have to agree. I use my google calendar regularly (appts/shows/jobs/reminde rs etc). The part I like the most is syncing my FB events/invites, and RSS events with google calendar and then again with my droid, and have it send me alerts in advance.

Tell me about it, my memory is average at best, if my phone didn't tell me what the hell was going on and when I'd be a disaster at the office.

Oh and it syncs instantly over the air, to all devices and from all devices.

Yeah AD, that's exactly what Im talking about. I really didn't even know the iPhone sycned with google calendar (it didn't seem like an option on the 3g but then again I didn't really try and really only got into gmail and what not after I switched to Android).

On Android it's simply native, no actual set up, nice to see Apple having the option to set it up as well. Doing all the shit on my desktop and having it show up instantly on my phone brings me a lot of joy.

I really didn't like Calendar on the iPhone however and think business calendar on Android is the absolute bomb. Also making an entire screen a widget of my calendar so it's live is a nice option.

i suck at calendar syncing. I keep having the same items multiple times in different calendars (work, home, some other shit). I haven't spent the likely minimal effort to consolidate down to one calendar. So I end up with multiple alerts or none at all, depending whether or not I chose the right calendar to place my dental appointment into.

Also at work, they use Groupwise, which absolutely sucks and there is no way to hook into that system.