Jambands.ca

Best Neighborhoods in Toronto

PhishyK

Well, what are they?

(I'm moving to the big smoke in September)

Anyone ever heard of High Park? It has a cool name [smile] Think I should move there?

What should I avoid? Jane and Finch right?

*grin*

ever soaking up info...

phishy [color:"red" size=3]K

I only know select bits of Toronto (like Scarborough, which you probably want to avoid [not that anything's wrong with it, but it's mostly suburban/residential, and a little on the quiet/dull side]), so I don't have much in the way of specifics. Your best bet might be to head to your local public library and see if they have any tourist books on Toronto; even ones that are a couple of years old will still be valuable, even just for where the various "name" neighbourhoods (like Cabbagetown, or Rosedale) are. There might also be guides/info on moving to Toronto.

If you don't have a car (even if you do, actually) a good tip is to live close to (ideally within walking distance of) a subway stop. Here's the TTC web page, which has PDF route maps, and links to other Toronto sites (regional public transit, Toronto maps, etc.).

Aloha,

Brad

Cabbagetown has some wicked great parts. However the thing to be wary of is quite often places will be advertised as "Cabbagetown" but is technically outside of the boundaries. Just outside of Cabbagetown can get pretty nasty. Things to note, there aren't a whole lotta happening spots out that way, and you'll have to take the street car to get to the subway.

I actually just saw a tv show about cabbagetown and had no idea it was such a nice area.

I agree close to TTC is crucial....a lot depends on where your daily travels will take you.

If you are going/working downtown, the closer you are to downtown the better. Even by subway/streetcar getting downtown is a daily grind.

As mentioned, High Park, Bloor West are nice but far from downtown. Same goes for the Beach.

I live in a neighbourhood east of downtown called Riverdale....it is about 20 minutes walk from the beach and 15-20 minutes to most everything else by subway and streetcar. Very convenient location, lots of nice places to live, 3-5 grocery stores nearby, close to the Big Carrot (organic food market).....

I would definetly recommend this area to anyone.....very convenient and accesible to everything in a short period of time and WAY MORE AFFORDABLE than the annex or downtown.

OH yeah, also good it has a 24 hour streetcar that goes right through the area so you are never without a cheap way home on any night.

I like Yonge & Eglinton, Mount Pleasant & Eglinton, St. Claire & Yonge, St. Claire & Bathurst. I've lived in a lot of parts of Toronto, but I've never lived in any of the aforementioned areas. I've always wanted to live in those areas howver. Cabbagetown is colourful, but can be a little rough. Queen Street West is cool too, but don't go as far as Dufferin & Queen. Anyway, keep us informed on the areas you're interested in living in.

I live in the Annex.. it's SUPER SUPER convieniet (i.e. 15 min walk to kensington market, Queen st, etc,etc.. right on subway line..) The only thing is that it is alsooo super super expensive, but I found a very small basement place for under 400.. if U look hard U can find the diamonds in the ruff...

A friend of mine lives on the Island, but it is very inconvient and hard to find a place cause they won't let anyone new buy property there...

The beaches is really nice too..

Good luck...

Sarah