Jambands.ca

Job Advice

LJFH

I have been asked to take over a position of someone who is leaving, in addition to the position that I already hold. If I accept the position, the company will effectively save a huge amount of money by virtually eliminating the old position. I don't want to accept the position without receiving reasonable compensation for doing the job. I have some ideas as to what I would like to say with respect to the issue, but would like some outside advice as to what to say, how much to ask for etc......any help?

One key thing to worry about is whether you'll have one boss or two. Trying to juggle two jobs, reporting to two bosses, just doesn't work in my observation and experience, because each boss will think you're his/hers and his/hers alone, and will set your priorities as if the other boss doesn't exist.

The other thing to consider is time. The only way you can take on another position and keep the one you've got is if your current position only takes 50% of your time, and if the new position can be done in the remaining 50%. If both jobs are full-time, even if they double your salary, you'll be worse off, because it'll eat into your free time.

Aloha,

Brad

hey LJ,

its spooky how your situation closely resembles what i went through about five months ago at the company i'm with

originally, i was "signed on" (figuratively, i never did get a contract) for a month or so. then the woman i was working for left/was let go at precisely the moment they had made plans to hire a third person to team up with us.

now, here i is about four/five months later, doing the work of what was to be three people with no contract and a few promises! i'm not bitter, 'cuz the pay is good, the work is crazy and the people are great...its just the fact that they kinda got me by the kahunas and don't seem to be too worried about me. if i were to threaten drastic actions, i'm sure they'd get up off their seats and move, but i'm too much of a push-over [Wink]

Moral of the Story: judging by my situation, don't take any advice i might offer, get something in writing and a bird in the hand is worth a gift horse in the mouth

Do you know what this position paid the last person? Knowing that would give you good ground to figure out how much to ask for. Even if you ask for the same amount, maybe the company could still be saving $$$ on benefits, holidays, etc. You need to take into account not only the extra workload, but also any additional responsibility this could add to your job.

Yeah, I know how much she was getting paid cause she and I are friends. I was only thinking about asking for about 25%-40% of what she was getting, which would be a great raise for me.

It will be quite an added responsibility, but I would mainly be an entity onto myself. I won't have to report to anyone as the job is pretty much a department onto itself. So, I think that it would be reasonable to ask for that much at least?

Charlie,

I definetly want to discuss $$ before I decide to take over the position cause I don't want to end up doing the job and only getting paid what I do now....it is a lot of extra work and responsibility, so I want to make sure that it is worth it for me.

...please refer to the warning i gave above

i would first broach the subject with the person who would authorize the pay raise and get a feel for what their expectations are... if they jive with the 25-40% you're looking for, then VOILA! you've got your raise. Otherwise, you would need to dig your heels in and make some sort of argument in favour of the pay-hike you'd expect...

by the sounds of it, you shouldn't have much of a problem making your point!

quote:

Originally posted by bradm:

One key thing to worry about is whether you'll have one boss or two. Trying to juggle two jobs, reporting to two bosses, just doesn't work in my observation and experience, because each boss will think you're his/hers and his/hers alone, and will set your priorities as if the other boss doesn't exist.

Brad has seen me (more like heard me) go through this a few years ago. It's not pretty. Having a manager helps, but the risk is that if the duelling bosses keep at it and the manager keeps playing traffic cop, if the company doesn't want you around for whatever reason, this can be interpreted as *your* inability to manage your time. Under the same circumstances, if you speak up for yourself, you can get nailed. It all boils down to the integrity of the people involved.

One other thing to realize about flip-flopping between two different jobs (i.e., two different sets of tasks) is that your efficiency drops, because the switch isn't zero-cost. It takes energy, attention, and time.

I worked on two different projects (as close as two different projects can be) for two managers in groups right beside each other on the org chart (i.e., both under the same director), and finally had to choose one, because my energies were being sapped from switching my brain from one project to the other.

Your Mileage May Vary, of course, but two half-jobs added together equals more than one job.

Aloha,

Brad