Jambands.ca

The New Deal on Friday!

bradm

yeah yeah yea...pot on time. whatever...

anyhow, it was nice to get back home to see such a great band but it's all too super to gt such a warm welcome every time i see you folks. I realy wish i was there at times, but every time I see a show in Ottawa i get reminded about why i'm suprised to get such a warm welcome. aside from the people dancing, everyone else was sitting on their hands watching. when you see bands in clubs in other cities, everyone's happy and goofy and freak out. ottawa's too reserved and I don't know what to think about it. every time I hear 'you guys rock' i chortle to myself because i know the band can't see the whole audiece...so that says to me...the fans get up to the front where they can be seen and the rest of the people sit in the shadows. i'm not tlaking about anyone I saw there. the room cleared out for second set, or at least halfway through second set. what can we do to combat this complacent lack of free aloofness??

i had an arduous journey from london to make the show. my goatskin was starting to chafe from the car ride and i still was up there groovin to myself. you can't get into a band like tND sitting and watching. people cn complain all they want about people not coming out to shows, and i know i shouldn't complain about the people that get there, but really, all the are is income for the door and bar. it kinda ruins the atmosphere. the more fun everyone has, the mre fun tey'll have next time and the time after that and the time after that...the scene will be so much more fun and happy and friendly. some time there should be a killer groove show where barrymore's takes away all the chairs and has ushers telling people to lighten up and have a blast. would it work?? i doubt it but at least the bar would have to do SOMETHING for the 20 dollar ticket. i always forget how expensive that place is. nice sound though...not too loud but loud enough.

i missed formula/escalate but yo uknow what?? every time i come home and go to shows i feel like i'm missing out on chillin in the country. next time i think i'll try to have some people over...would that work?? even though it IS my folks' place i know everyone'd have a decent time. email me with an idea...entertainment, theme, how many people can drive 45 minutes out of town, whatever you can think of...anyways, just a thought.

cheers!

I had a blast. I'm not a big techno fan, but tND mesmerizes me. I love watching their on-stage signals & communication, and their sheer stamina blows me away: to be able to play at that level of intensity, for that long, with few, if any, in-set breaks, amazes me.

I didn't dance much (techno isn't my favourite form of danceable music), and spent a bit of time at the top bar in Barrymore's, observing the fun below, and had a ball.

I think the crowd/turnout was pretty good. The dance floor/area was pretty full (but not packed or to the point of discomfort), and the rest of the venue had a good number of people. All in all, it was a tremendously fun night.

Aloha,

Brad

I really like the New Deal.. I still haven't seen them as good as I saw em at Zaphods 2 in March of 2000, (i liked the break stuff they were doing then, and more of the odd jazzier stuff- i guess it just varied more then/ ala this is live from the cozo), but since they went pretty much straight house, i spend most of my time listening to everyone complain about the constant bpm, or the lame themes and bad cover choices (for the record, i thought the big sugar thing was neat- until they played the whole tune). digging a hole- i believe.

I wish everyone would just shut up and dance. b/cause to me tND is not a band to stand there and watch, as much as close your eyes and get silly to. They aren't cerebral, and i dont think they are meant to be.

I had a great time at the show.. it seemed pretty packed to me.. and i thought they played well.. good energy, tight. there ya go.

Guest Low Roller

This was only my second time seeing tND, and I still find them to be an absolutely amazing band. I heard many complaints about how this was the worst show ever and how "tND sucked".

Everyone is entitled to an opinion I guess, but regardless, I danced like an epileptic on a treadmill all night.

I was one of these people that thought the show was lacking, although, I can't quite put my finger on why. I had a certain expectation for this show. I have only ever seen this band out of doors previously, in what I thought was a nicer venue. I always found that what I liked about the New Deal was the higher pitch textures, what for me made for 'interesting' house beats. For some reason, I couldn't differentiate these from the bassy undercurrent. Maybe I'm going deaf...however I don't think so. On the contrary to what others have mentioned, I have always enjoyed watching this band. For some reason, of all bands, I have never been able to dance to the New Deal. Don't all slap me a once. I'm not sure why. Because of this I got bored and tired nearer to the end. Had fun all the same. Glad most others had fun.

Hmmm. Put my finger on it after all.

quote:

Originally posted by Low Roller:

Can it really be time to unleash the phat pants on the world again? Is the general populace ready for such an uncontrolled fashion demonstration??

I say yes.
[smile]

I don't think you wore the phat pants, but even if you did, they can't be better than these.

Aloha,

Brad

Guest Low Roller

Oh no. You're not getting out that easily. Welcome to the terrordome bitch! You diss the phat pants by posting a picture of some glow-in-the-dark Disco Stu shit and call those phat pants? You have dishonoured me and now you shall feel my unrelenting wrath -

[Eek!] "Jeezus, he's gone nuts!"

[Confused] "All over some phat pants."

[Cool] "But he's still the coolest cat in town."

I could have gone either way, really. I had a good time, and the music was all right. But, as someone who had perhaps too good a time put it to me...

"This music's like a fuckin' casio keyboard" There's some merit to that. I'd much rather have a night of Nero/Tuba over that any day.

A thousand apologies; my apologies apologize. I'm not worthy to be in the same timezone as the phat pants; I didn't see them, because I'm not capable of comprehending all their glory. The phat pants are too much for the likes of a miserable miscreant such as myself; I deserve to never bask in their glory, and I've resigned myself to that Hellish and unfulfilled destiny. I beg forgiveness, but will abide by the just and merciful decision of the phat pants.

I will also buy the owner of the phat pants a beer if he shows up for Smokestack tonight.

Meekly,

Brad