Jambands.ca

The Funk Brothers?

DevO

I was just on the Massey Hall website and noticed this new show:

The Funk Brothers

April 15, 2003

Tix: $40-$65

In 1959, Berry Gordy gathered the best musicians from Detroit's thriving jazz and blues scene to begin cutting songs for his new record company. Over a fourteen year period this unheralded group of musicians had played on more number ones hits than the Beach Boys, the Rolling Stones, Elvis and the Beatles combined - which makes them the greatest hit machine in the history of popular music. They called themselves The Funk Brothers. Forty-one years after they played their first note an a Motown record and three decades since they were all together, The Funk Brothers reunited back in Detroit to play their music and tell their unforgettable story in STANDING IN THE SHADOWS OF MOTOWN. This phenomenal group now comes to Massey Hall with guest artists Joan Osbourne, Bootsy Collins, Maxi Priest and Darlene Love.

Anyone heard these dudes before? The lineup looks pretty nice.

It finally overwhelmed me and I called for tickets just now. There were still first row isle seats available. Wow! I opted for second row because they were closer to the centre. I'm really looking forward to this show. I hope people get up and start funking out in the isles!

So... you want funk? Then we're agreed, there'll be funk.

George [bush]: [with trembling lips] Wimp, am I? Agent Johnson, Agent Heintz, you men stand down.

[the gate opens and Homer walks in]

All right, Mister: you want trouble? You're going to get trouble.

Homer: Oh, I want trouble, all right.

George: Then you're going to get trouble.

Homer: No, _you're_ going to get trouble.

George: Oh, that's good, that's good, 'cause I _want_ trouble.

Homer: Then we're agreed there'll be trouble.

George: Oh, yeah, lots of trouble.

Homer: Trouble it is.

George: For you. [walks inside, slams door]

Homer: For -- d'oh!

Archived