Jambands.ca

Roll Call: Dr. Hux and Highway Freeker

Ric Pilot

so here i was this afternoon reading this message board and BAM! i see the post where i won a ticket for the sens game. i was happy to get a stuper ticket...section 225, on the corner. the game was a blowout, which is good for a fan but not for the intensity of a game. the ticket's good for a slice of piuzza...which i forgot to get...maybe tomorrow. anyhow, the game lets up and i say to arcane 'you wanna go to dekcuf??' to a resounding yes. so there we are having enjoyed a stellar hockey game where there was a lot on chit chat(to fill in where ottawa was toying with the sharks) and laughter at spartacat shooting the sandwich in the nuts with another sandwich. the joke is old but worth seeing the sandwich limp away in sheer hammily-acted agony. and yes, arcane, it would have cool to switch centres with the mascots. we get to the bar and the band is yet to get on. dr hux definitely impressed me a lot more than i was expecting ( now wait you may have already judged this comment but you have to keep in mind that i understand how genuinely interested and knowledgeable we all are regarding music, thus making Dr. Huxtable already an impressive band in my mind) considering i'm picky when it comes to even music i really really really like. i was definitely impressed with the amount of soul was put into the jams and the songwriting. A n ultra feel good set. the transition happened and i was disappointed there was only one bass playing at a time but again, i'm picky. then the bob dylan project got on (after a china cat teasy jam, which woulda been a cool jam tune, but it was awesome anyhow) where i was surely impressed by an already warmer vibe. I'd only heard about this band for a couple of months and I didn't expect much to be honest. Even if i was expecting a lot i'd have been content with the set. i started thinking about what started to make the night A bit magical and my mind wandered to 'girls'...now i have to admit i really like expressive artistic women but that's really not the point, it's the honest expression i was seeing that you need for great vocals. (don't worry geoff, don't feel left out. i started thinking about the vocals and realized it's not a girl thing. you have a great voice and you know how to use it. good vocals are hard to find and feel lucky you've got em everyone at deckuf was.) It seems to me that women just give it a bit more. Anyhow, set blends into set blends into set...each one was special and to be honest, i didn't keep a setlist and i was trying to experience the show as a set, but i know i got into hiway freeker more than the bob dylan project. I know i had a good time with my friends, I know I learned how talented my friends are(which makes me a bit more understanding of your points of view generally which is nice) and I know that i'm going to enjoy seeing either band in the future as much as i can.

thanks for the great night everybody.

Well, I was there and had a great time ... unfortunately I don't have the endurance I had as a youth so I had to check out during Highway Freeker's second set (well , technically their first set) but they were highly awesome, as were Dr. Huxtable and I did manage to last until quarter to 2 or thereabouts. Thanks to all of the nice folks I met and hung out with last night, especially the cool people from Dr. Huxtable (and Blue Grassy High) whose individual names vanished from my head the moment I woke up this morning [Confused] it was through them I found this forum.

I hope this isn't an inappropriate request, but I noticed folk taping last night's show, and would love to trade for a CDR of the gig ... the link to my list is in my profile, if anyone can help me out. Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

RTHV

Guest Low Roller

Sorry for missing out last night! I can't wait to hear the tapes, because from what I heard on CKCU, Highway Freeker was a tight band. Dr.Huxtable probably outdid themselves again as well.

Thanks for the review, Canned Beats (and the rides to and fro'). I, too, was more into Hiway Freeker than BDP. That singer has one great set of pipes.

And a good time was had by all. And no, I really wasn't asleep in the front booth--just mellowing with the groove.

Blacklight disco hockey!! Bring on the Zamboni drivers!!