Jambands.ca

The Great Prince Thread

bouche

Just reading some concert reports in the Prince members forum and they did a 2 hour Aftershow in Nashville. I hope Toronto gets an aftershow on the night we're there. Freaking VICTOR LAMONT WOOTEN sat in forcrissake!

------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah - I didn't get to hear Purple rain . My wife is pregnant and was tired. ..she wanted to 'beat the crowd'. I figured the afterparty would be at BB Kings but it was at Rocketown.

We got our tickets through the club also. Section 12 - row A seat 3 and 4. PERFECT. For whatever reason - The Purple One chose to favor our area tonight and most of the show - sans the accoustic set - he was right in our faces. We had a big dance area with no one in front of us. We were right behind the keys and Prince was constantly on one side or the other of the keys. Security did a great job of holding back anyone who tried to 'jump line' and make their way in front of us.

Here is an after-party review from a fellow rocker:

If you missed the after-show party at Rocketown, well, you missed another AWESOME 2-hour show!! The entire band was there, including the Purple One. They did al sorts of jazz/funk/soul standards, some more originals, and a few surprise covers as well. Some highlights were:

Larry Graham sat in on "Thankyoufalettinme Be Mice Elf, Agin" and "Higher"!!!!!!! Killer solos BTW!!

Vic Wooten (the Man) sat in and layed down some seriously heavy riffing as well!!

MONSTER VERSION of Led Zep's "Whole Lotta Love"!!!!!!!!

Also, Rhonda Smith (Prince), is now in my top 5 list of badass bassists!!!

I too am praying for an aftershow. Just read this though about the Nashville aftershow: 'no smoking or drinking at the aftershow'. Whathefuck I mean I love music as much as the next drunken junkie but comeon, if I need a blood transfusion I'm gonna get one you Jehovah freak.

Some more covers: Just my Imangination(Temptations), I'll Take You There(The Staples Singers), Cold Sweat(James Brown) & A Honky Tonk Woman tease. Also Maceo rocks Pass The Peas and apparently Clinton was at the Nashville aftershow as well.

Also Maceo rocks Pass The Peas and apparently Clinton was at the Nashville aftershow as well.

I know for a fact that Maceo has more tunes than just Pass The Peas, although from the number of times he plays them, you wouldn't know it. Why does he always play that one? :: Give me something fresh Maceo!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I can't wait for the Toronto show in 1.5 months. No one should miss the aftershow. I'm SURE there will be one.

Xcel Center (June 17)

The Time [7:30-8:25pm]

COOL

777-9311

The Bird

Jungle Love

Prince & The Band [9:00-11:25pm]

Musicology

Let's Go Crazy

I Would Die 4 U

When Doves Cry

1999 Intro - Baby I'm A Star

Renato interlude

Shhh

D.M.S.R.

Prince attempts to pull a rather hefty woman onstage to dance (no offense, but her size was an obvious point). He fails, makes a comedic moment out of it, and once she climbs onto the stage they dance together for a moment. She could move, to the delight of the audience and Prince.

The Way You Move [Outkast] / Mike Phillips Sax Vocoder

A Love Bizarre / I Feel 4 You

Controversy

A Love Bizarre

As in previous shows, Prince lounges around in a chair that's part of the set. Chance brings over a blanket and a magazine -- the recent RollingStone featuring Prince on the cover. After paging through a few articles, Prince flips to the feature article on himself, and points to the highschool yearbook photo printed in the article and looks for an audience reaction. Cheers, jeers and a few funny faces later, the show continues.

God Instrumental (played by Renato Neto, while Prince changed for the acoustic set)

... (a song sung my Chance Howard, while I took care of other matters)

Acoustic Set (featuring Mike Scott on rhythm guitar)

Little Red Corvette

Cream

Alphabet St.

12:01

Raspberry Beret

Sometimes It Snows In April

7 (band returns to the stage)

Full Band

Sign O' The Times

The Question Of U / The One / Fallin' [Alicia Keys] (featuring Candy Dulfer on vox)

Let's Work

U Got The Look

Life O' The Party

Soul Man [sam & Dave] (featuring Chance Howard on vox)

Kiss

Take Me With U

Encore

Beautiful Ones

Nothing Compares 2 U

Purple Rain

Paisley Park (June 18 A.M.)

When I arrived at about 1:30am, the night's concert was playing on the projection screens in the NPGMC room while the DJ spun records for the soundstage. When A Love Bizarre was playing, they cut the concert audio and the band started to play in the soundstage. After tweaking the audio at the soundboard, Prince joined the band in the middle of the first song.

The Band

Prince (cowbell, vox, bass guitar, Hohner guitar)

Mike Scott (guitar)

Rhonda Smith (bass)

John Blackwell (drums)

Renato Neto (keys)

Chance Howard (keys)

Maceo Parker (alto sax)

Candy Dulfer (alto sax)

Mike Phillips (alto sax, vocoder sax)

Greg Boyer (trombone)

The Aftershow [2:15-3:50am]

Footprints [Wayne Shorter / Miles Davis] (Prince tweaked the audio, and then joined the band on cowbell)

Dear Mr. Man (featuring an extended sax intro by Maceo Parker)

I Know You Got Soul [Charles A. Bobbit, Bobby Byrd, James Brown] (feautring Prince on bass guitar)

Skin Tight [The Ohio Players] (featuring Prince on bass guitar, and a vocalist from the TC Jammers on vox)

D.M.S.R. (featuring Prince on guitar for the rest of the show)

House Party [Fred Wesley]

Sexy Dancer

Peach (blistering guitar and vox by Prince)

Prince And The Band

Beautiful Strange (awesome guitar and vox by Prince)

While the whole set was amazing, the end of the show was really quite astonishing, playing the new arrangement of Peach and Beautiful Strange like I'd never heard before. He worked the Hohner guitar till it was blazing, and then ended the show, leaving us all wanting more.

• 4 weeks later...