Jambands.ca

Little Feat - what do you want them to play?

briguy

It's that time again. The band is asking what we'd like to hear at Club 77 on June 22. If anyone is going to the show and there's something specific you want to hear let me know. Below is the set from last year.

All That You Dream

Hate To Lose Your Lovin'

Honest Man

Cold Cold Cold

Easy To Slip >

I know You Rider >

Easy To Slip

Just Another Sunday

Heaven Forsaken

Spanish Moon >

Skin It Back >

Day At The Dog Races

Dixie Chicken >

Dark Star tease >

Dixie Chicken >

Bass Solo >

Key Solo >

Tennessee Jed >

Dixie Chicken,

Fat Man in the Bathtub >

Get Up Stand Up >

Fat Man In The Bathtub

(encore)

Willin' >

Don't Bogart That Joint >

Willin'

Well,the chance of me being out for this has grown thin,but if I do or were to make it to the show,I'd have to go with anyone of the following:

Spanish Moon (my favourite)

Time Loves a Hero

Sailin' Shoes

Rock and Roll Doctor

Crazy Captain Gunboat Willie

Two Trains

Rocket in My Pocket

Ahhhh,I could go on and complete a whole set myself...

Have a great show Brian,I truly wish I could be there.Say hello to Denny and the Feat for me.We'll have to talk before I go away about a couple things first if possible.

Enjoy folks.

You pretty much have all the gems. There's all the classics and Skin It Back in particular as an opener seems absolutely necessary- this may be the all-time greatest jam cover song ever. It'd be hard not to hear Spanish Moon, All That You Dream, Time Loves A Hero ... and Trouble somebody HAS to sing Trouble . Also a smart cover like a Band tune but NOT The Weight or Cripple Creek or even well maybe The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down but what would be really classy would be something like King Harvest or of course I Shall Be Released, Stage Fright or Acadian Driftwood . I could see Barrere settling in to any number of those and it wouldn't be surprised if they all didn't already know a few of them. It could be a really nice accent to their repertoire. Also any of the Basement Tapes or Planet Waves type stuff like Going, going, gone or Katie's Been Gone. Hey it's called a wish list for a reason right so screw off.

I'm with Esau and Kung on the Spanish Moon, Skin It Back (yeah), and Two Trains, and would like to add On Your Way Down, and New Delhi Freight Train. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I have the night off from both jobs.

And Esau, you will be sorely missed at the show buddy...won't be the same gettin' down to Spanish Moon without you ;)

honestly, i dont know the names of tons of their tunes, so this is what i'll suggest.

just jam! they have amazing musicians...last show was really a greatest hits show, exactly what the fans wanted, myself included.

But this time i could certainly go for some good jams/grooves. Doesn't matter what song they use as a launching point, but something that would allow them to stretch out for 10 minutes or so...i'm not talking 30 minutes jams, just something that sets as a launch pad.

I can't really agree with that sentiment. I think typically they've used Dixie Chicken as that launch pad to good effect and driftin off into some Dead for instance. A Day At The Dog Races is a sort of composed jam and gives them room their. But the Feat are about the songs in my mind.

I can't really agree with that sentiment. I think typically they've used Dixie Chicken as that launch pad to good effect and driftin off into some Dead for instance. A Day At The Dog Races is a sort of composed jam and gives them room their. But the Feat are about the songs in my mind.

I agree there,Little Feat are the shit without a doubt,definatley been one of my favourites as I grew up.So often they are grouped with bands like ABB and GD or the "southern rock" genre,when in fract they have been sorta on their own for years."Jamming" as we are refering to it within this thread isn't really what they do.Although they do "jam" I find its not like ABB interpidtation of "jamming".Feat do what they do and they do it very well.

Best jam I've seen to date with the Feat has to be at Maple Leaf gardens in 1990 when they opened for ABB and kicked out one serious Dixie Chicken with Warren Haynes & Jeff Healy.Can't recall what the Dixie Chicken went into but it was a serious jam thats for sure.

I look at Little Feat like I do The Band,sorta hard to nail them down to a single style or genre other then pure Rock & fuckin Roll.

Just my two cents.

I'm definitely up for another

Dixie Chicken >

????? >

Dixie Chicken >

????? >

Dixie Chicken

and tease the heck out of me and jam it out during the ?????'s!!!

I agree with pretty much everything that's been mentioned, especially MuleMomma's suggestion for On Your Way Down ... that song makes me shiver.

Little Feat has so many wicked songs, I'm sure that we're in for a treat!

Peace, Mark

You know what I've heard in interviews, in this case I think with Paul Barrere, that what they learned from Lowell George more than anything was phrasing. This is sort of a subtle point but if you think about what makes the Feat so great it's the way that the words sort of writhe against their framework in a way that really works. Likewise any material that demonstrates that great spirit is fine by me. Incidentally I don't know if people realize that Lowell was a really interesting person outside of music, he was a sort of renaissance man like John Cippolina (who Kimock just mentioned raised wolves) with one of his main interests being martial arts and sword play.

Give either of these recordings a listen if your into George.They are awesome.

Alexander's

Brown's Mill, NJ

1979-06-26

*second last show he ever preformed.

Lowell George demo sessions

197?

fool for the avenue

fool redux

rocket in my pocket

rocket redux

lafayette station (Two Trains)

fat man in the bathtub

mercenary territory

china white

A few nuggets....

Snakes On Everything

Strawberry Flats

Easy To Slip

Trouble

Willin'

Teenage Nervous Breakdown

Dixie Chicken

Two Trains

Fat Man In The Bathtub

Rock & Roll Doctor

Oh, Atlanta

Down The Road

Spanish Moon

Feats Don't Fail Me Now

The Fan

All That You Dream

Mercinary Territory

Framed

Hate To Lose Your Lovin'

Let It Roll

Texas Twister

Representing The Mambo

Rad Gumbo

Shake Me Up

Rock & Roll Everynight

Loco Motives

This isn't easy. Too many great songs to pick. They said they wanted to play a completely different show so I'm not asking for anything they played last year.

Here's what I have for them. Wonder what they'll pick?

Time Loves A Hero

Sailin' Shoes

Rock & Roll Doctor

Fool Yourself

Two Trains

Trouble

Rag Mama Rag

Romance Dance

Feats Don't Fail Me Now

Mercenary Territory

Roll Um Easy

Tripe Face Boogie

Let It Roll

Texas Twister

Rad Gumbo

Hamburger Midnight

Edan's Wall

Cajun Rage

Gringo

Missin' You

I'd Be Lyin'

Night On The Town

And Esau, you will be sorely missed at the show buddy...won't be the same gettin' down to Spanish Moon without you ;)

Mulemomma,we'll get that chance now to get down to Spanish Moon.Hell,I think I will be getting down alnight now!

I look forward to seeing you again,its been awhile,we gotta do somthing about that I thinks...

So by that logic Bri are you leaving off All That You Dream cause it was played last year? Likewise I really think in particular Skin It Back is THE OPENER it just leaps full throttle, like a waterskier doing a dock start, into a confident set. Rag Mama Rag is a nice call for something from the Band repertoire, I still think an off kilter Planet Waves or Basement Tapes song would work the best. It sort of shows their shared heritage and that they get 'it' and 'us' if those words mean Canadians and North Americans, a mosaic and a melting pot. A tripped out mosaic molten stew! Another song that came to mind was Cortez The Killer or Helpless. 'There is a town in North Ontario'...

So by that logic Bri are you leaving off All That You Dream cause it was played last year? Likewise I really think in particular Skin It Back is THE OPENER it just leaps full throttle, like a waterskier doing a dock start, into a confident set. Rag Mama Rag is a nice call for something from the Band repertoire, I still think an off kilter Planet Waves or Basement Tapes song would work the best. It sort of shows their shared heritage and that they get 'it' and 'us' if those words mean Canadians and North Americans, a mosaic and a melting pot. A tripped out mosaic molten stew! Another song that came to mind was Cortez The Killer or Helpless. 'There is a town in North Ontario'...

Hey Kung,you do know that the only "real" setlist in this thread is Briguy's opening post right? (from last year) All the rest is a list of songs we want them to play and not in that order,so to speak.

And the Rag Mama Rag is a smoking cover they do now-a-days,I have a few great versions of it.I highly doubt they will pull out somthing from Planet waves,not sure they ever have to tell the truth,hell Bob himself doesn't kick out to many tunes of that album anymore,especially without The Band backing him on,Bob says without the Band those songs are not complete.He did however pull out a Hazel earlier this year which was the first time in over 10 years he had played it.

I can't say though I wouldn't love to hear them kick out Dirge (even that is a stretch without Robbie Robertson though,even for Bob) or Tough Mama which in my opinion is about the only song from that album Feat could pull off that would work without members of the Band or Bob himself playing with em.

Now Basement Tapes is another story altogether,alot of gems there,but without The Band,alot of songs just aren't complete (err,I guess thats Bob's opinion,but I agree) in my opinion,even when Bob plays a couple,although another rare occurence to hear,except for the songs that are crossovers from previous albums and weren't released or later albums and were earlier takes,.Down In The Flood,Million Dollar Bash,You ain't gonna nowwhere & Don't ya tell Henry would probally work very well with em,although I shudder to think what Don't ya tell Henry would sound like without The Band,even when I think of Bob playing it without them,Levon had that awesome way of hittin those skins like no other,as I know you are well aware of.

But man,what a couple choice albums ya picked to call covers from,definatley awesome choices,maybe I'm a purist when it comes to Bob and his music,but without the Band playing on those songs,I am skeptical of anyone playing them the way the were meant to be played.But,serious choices without a doubt,nice call.

Cheers ::

ps.The Band - One of the many treasures that make Canada so fuckin great.