Jambands.ca

The canadian politics thread.

purple foot

Ok, firstly, I barely even watch TV, let alone reality crap, and strategic voting is by no means a new phenomenon, you can say it's the "worst of Canadian politics", and I wouldn't disagree, but it is reality.

You can ingnore the implications of your vote, I'm just saying in some ridings they do exist. You can dislike it, and ignore it, all I'm saying is there could be consequences....if anyone want to prove my Nader/Bush 2000 example is faulty, go ahead, please - but not liking our system, will not make it go away.

"so i either vote for one party that wants to get in bed with bushie and his missles, or vote for a party who believes the koyoto agreement is outdated, and the funds should be put elsewhere?"

dude....that is complete over simplification, take a look a the whole platform of a party. Missle defence is never going to happen, and is scientifically a fairy tale, and the Liberals are against it.

i" LOVE how layton hasn't regressed to the point of knocking another party's policies for the whole commercial. he always managed to try and get his message across..."

Layton/NDP's latest TV ads attack Martin and Harper for being too close to the US!! so they defintely are not above the frey when it comes to a clean campaign, gimme a break!

Polls are done by every political party (yes, the NDP and Greens), and media outlets, by private polling firms. It's a scientific process that is accurate to within a few percentage points, and relied upon to gauge public opinion by govt's and media all the time, not just during an election. To suggest some sort of insider job between a party and a polling firm to create fear is bordering on log-cabin in the woods manifesto writing conspiracy bs.

The Libearls have not been this low in the polls for over 10 years, the Conservatives have a better chance of forming the government than they have in 10 years, this is a reality on the ground and is reflected in the polls. We are back in a big way to our 3-party system.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Bloc only runs candidates in Quebec, so when they do a national poll the Bloc is barely on the radar, but if you look at a poll in Quebec, it is a two way race between the Libs and the Bloc, the NDP and Conservativs don't compete and will not get a single seat. As someone aptly explained above, the Bloc's 5% or whatever, is completely concentrated in Quebec, and therefore wins more seats for them.

Same with the NDP, their support is concentrated in certain areas, ie. they compete is some urban centres and a few provinces, where their popularity is high, but in many areas they are completely off the radar, realistically, the NDP is likely only competitive enough to win 20-30 ridings across the country (a very generous estimate) HENCE my point in strategic voting - that if you vote NDP in an area where they are off the radar, and it is a close race between the Liberal and Conservative candidate, your vote is essentially helping elect party with the polar opposite views.

Who does and where do these polls take place, I'm still not buying it.

For a little information, check out the this page from the CBC's website. It shows the trend since the Martin group was sworn in. Every point on the chart can be clicked on and at the bottom will tell you some details about the poll. If anything, it may give you an idea of where to look for relevant info to some of your questions...Its the link at the bottom, "tracking the polls".

HENCE my point in strategic voting - that if you vote NDP in an area where they are off the radar, and it is a close race between the Liberal and Conservative candidate, your vote is essentially helping elect party with the polar opposite views.

To be "realistic" Huxy, the Liberals have nobody to blame but themselves if they don't get elected. I mean they should never have let any of their scandals reach the public ;). I have never seen a party with so much popularity dive that fast except maybe for the Provincial Liberals.

Anyway i'll be voting for the party that I agree with on almost every policy they have > GREEN :: (Fuck that little weasel Andy Mitchell.)

To be completely realistic, I expect every political party that holds office in Canada to be corrupt, inefficient, and wasteful... it's just a question of who can do more positive things for the nation while wasting our tax dollars on various scandals - or, at least, who can be least corrupt, inefficient, and wasteful.