Jambands.ca

The canadian politics thread.

purple foot

So with the coming election i'm curious as to how many of you will vote and for what party? It looks more and more like the conservatives are gaining ground on the liberals and it could be a tight race. I think i'll vote green party again. Maybe the candidate will get more than 250 votes this time!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a nice thought. ::

At least he's not a stuffy boring idiot like Mahoney, or a Flake like Mike Murphy. And he has experience. And he's well spoken. And he's got integrity. And he's NDP. And he's not a Liberal. (that was for Hux too) :)

AD

I will vote liberal... the reason being is that I would define myself as anti-conservative over alliance to any other party. As an anti-conservative my vote is most valuable with a vote for the liberal party.

i am with ya on that one numero dos, any party that is associated with the canadian alliance can shove it as far as i'm concerned. i'm just not sure how i feel about the liberals either... green party sounds good but of course they'll probably be lucky to get one seat...

"At least he's not a stuffy boring idiot like Mahoney"

Richard is actually a really cool guy, we talk guitar when I see him, I like him.

Ed, great person, but give someone else a chance in my opinion. If this election stays tight, we could be looking at a minority Liberal government (or worse) with the balance of power being held by the seperatists, or the Reform homophobes.

It could come down to a few ridings, and in that situation, every vote will count, ie. strategic voting....

I'm obviously immensly biased, but I will stand behind my left-wing beliefs the reason I'm in the party of Trudeau, Chretien, and Paul. What will be will be!

I think canadian politics is turning into american politics just based on the fact people will vote for the strongest opposition to whatever they don't like. example's i hear across the states are i'm voting democrat just cause I hate bush. same here, i'm voting liberal cause they have the best chance against the conservatives. and anyone voting NDP is pulling away liberal votes i.e anyone who voted nader in 2000 fucked al gore over.

and anyone voting NDP is pulling away liberal votes

I think a little further left, ie that voting Green is pulling away NDP votes.

Last election I just put my faith in the system and decided to vote for whichever platform I agreed with the most. Now I kind of feel like I wasted that vote.

I'll be voting for Olivia Chow (NDP) this election, mostly because I think she has a really good chance of winning. The riding knows her well, and I don't even think I've seen any signs for other candidated posted in the area, except maybe one or two for the liberal guy. That's a big problem I think, though - you really have to consider your riding, and if your vote will actually mean anything.

The other problem i think is that the left is too disjointed. There are 12 registered political parties in Canada. On the left, you've got the canadian action party, the communist party, the green party, the marijuana party, the marxist-leninist party, the ndp, and even the liberal party. On the right, you've got the conservatives, the christian heritage party, and the progressive canadians, which are basically a hold out on the old pc party. So there's way more options to suit your political beliefs if you're left-leaning, the votes get split up more, and boooooo the conservatives end up winning.

(You may have noticed there were only 10 parties there - I don't really know where libertarians fit on the political spectrum, kind seems so far left they're right? And the Bloc? well it's almost impossible to find information from them in english, so i have no idea... Edit to add: I just found the Bloc platform overview in english, and I would consider them a lefty party too....)

And harper is a creepy creepy man...

I think canadian politics is turning into american politics just based on the fact people will vote for the strongest opposition to whatever they don't like. example's i hear across the states are i'm voting democrat just cause I hate bush. same here, i'm voting liberal cause they have the best chance against the conservatives. and anyone voting NDP is pulling away liberal votes i.e anyone who voted nader in 2000 fucked al gore over.

Your probally right about it turning more like American politics.I myself have talked to a couple people (and I assume there are more) who are voting marijuana party purely because its called "the marijuana party",seems abit hastey to me,but that can also be said for the other parties,as you mentioned.My neighbour is voting green....and why is she voting green? Its her favourite fuckin color!!She knows most of the issues of other parties,and disagrees with them so she decided to vote that way.I think it goes like that with every party in someway for some people at times.

Myself,I'm still deciding,I have voted liberal in the past and Marijuana party also,but truth be told,both times I voted Marijuana party,it turned out to feel like a wasted vote in the end with the party in my area getting next to no votes,but if I don't vote either my vote is wasted to.

Tough call for me this year.Also,I may be incarcirated still when the election is,so I'm not sure if I can vote or not while inside,somthing I'll inquire about tomorrow when I go in.

yeah as long as the young people vote period i don't think it matters who they vote for. I think I read somewhere that in the last election only 25% of voters age 19-25 actually voted. Thats absurd to me, you get an hour of work to do it! I would say thats a major reason candadates don't pay any attention to issues that affect youngins, cause they know they won't vote anyways so why waste their time.

Sure it's all great standing behind your team no matter what but you've *got* to start thinking strategically when pre-election polls show such a dead heat between the Libs and the Conservatives. I *want* to vote NDP but that's based on the idea that I assume the Libs will form the next government handily and my vote could be a suggestion to them to turn their policies - especially social policy - further to the left. But if it's as close on June 28th as it is today, I will vote Liberal.

I Do Not Want a Conservative Government In Canada! ::

I too would like to vote for the NDP if it were politics as usual in Canada. But as this Conservative Party is not the Progressive Conservative Part of old (I smell the Reform and/or the Canadian Alliance), I feel I have little choice but to vote for the Liberals.

My job at Ford Motor Company of Canada might be in jeopardy if the Conservative Party gets into office. The Conservatives would not give out corporate subsidies to Ford or any other automotive company in Canada to ensure the future stabability of the auto industry in Ontario. I'm not a fan of corporate welfare either, but if southern American states are offering up hundreds of millions in subsidies what choice to Canadian governments have? Ontario and the Federal government have really no choice but to match these type of subsidies, the lack there of would cost tens of thousand Canadian jobs in the not so distant future, including mine.

For every one auto job in Ontario their are seven spin off jobs that are reliant on auto. Auto exports in Ontario add up to one third of the total exports in Canada. The Conservative Party said they would cut corporate taxes instead of using subsides to keep corporations in Ontario and Canada. This is not enough in the auto industry. All of the auto plants in Ontario pay a total of $250 million a year in taxes, whereas Ford and GM alone want $100 and $200 million in subsides for new flexible manufacturing plants. Tax breaks are not enough, to save tens of thousands of jobs. The auto workers in Ontario pay over $2 billion a year in taxes and we need some of that money from the Federal government to ensure our futures. The Conservative Party would devistate Ontario with their attitudes towards corporate subsidies.

When I get back from Bonnaroo I think I'll be going to Stan Keyes campaign office to volunteer my time to help the Liberals.

I think I read somewhere that in the last election only 25% of voters age 19-25 actually voted.

Sad thing is,I think it was actually higher then 25%.

I know way back in my 20's I don't think I missed one election.I agree its absurd that more folks don't vote,especially with all the crying and whining that goes on about our goverment.

-post#4242