Jambands.ca

Tonight in TORONTO Tala/NewShadyGroove - elmocambo

Jay Funk Dawg

Well lets see, Tala's bus broke down so they never showed, NSG was great, though there was only about 6 of us in the bar at that point and Presswon (which was supposed to be the openers opener and turned into the headliner!?!?!) was craptacular, they would be a lot better if they'd drop the two little rapper kids and went all instrumental, horns were cool though, kept a good beat taboot. Presswon seem to materialize a crowd out of nowhere, all of sudden we were surrounded by young little hip hoppers, the place was packed.

All in all a night we should have just stayed home, but that had little to do with the bar or the bands. ::

Yeah, the show seemed like a comedy of errors in a way. We (the new shady groove) were under the impression that we'd be playing 2nd and Tala was headlining, but, upon entering the bar, were told that PressWon was headlining. And then the Tala bus issue kind of let people down I think. I was happy with how we played, but we'll rock Ottawa twice as hard next time. Thanks to all who came out and said hey...lots of friendly people in Ottawa.

At the same time, the Montreal show the next night was great. The Flying Buttresses (from Halifax) had an awesome mix of Celtic/Hard Rock/ and Four-part harmony folk....and Contact really kicked some ass after them. People who came got a good show that night. yeah this show on Saturday should be pretty great and we're pretty excited. See you there Jaydawg.

G

Yeah, PressWon was OK, but could have been a lot better, I think. The band laid down good (at times, pretty sick and funky) grooves, but the occasional mis-step and the grind-to-a-screeching-halt trainwrecks between grooves left me wanting more. The rappers got on my nerves a bit, especially when they'd say, "This song is <something>..." and then 16 bars later stop that (after it ground to a screeching halt) and start something else. They did draw a good crowd, but I wonder how it would have been if PressWon had gone on first followed by tNSG and then Tala...

The New Shady Groove impressed me a lot. The closest comparison would to be to Grand Theft Bus, I think, due to the same instrumentation, similarly balanced guitars (not one playing rhythm + one playing lead, more both playing rhythmic melodic lines, almost to the point of it sounding like one big coordinated guitar), and jams based on (and within) written/composed/structured songs. There was some seriously impressive have-to-count-it-carefully stuff going on, too, and I'll give serious props to the bass player, who broke a string (the G) early in the set, finished the song, and then changed the string while the rest of the band started up the next song. I also note that "The New Shady Groove EP" is almost 50 minutes in length, which surely makes it the longest "EP" in recorded history...

Aloha,

Brad