Jambands.ca

Ween Bonnaroo (finally)

kung

Finally found the setlist and some thoughts on the Ween set at the 'Roo. The dosed out fucker sounds classic.

Ween

Bonnaroo

6-12-2004

Buckingham Green

Happy Colored Marbles

Ooh Va La

HIV Song

Reggaejunkiejew

Voodoo Lady

The Final Alarm

Spinal Meningitis

Bananas And Blow

Take Me Away

Back To Basom

Pandy Fackler

Mutilated Lips (Acoustic)

Birthday Boy (Acoustic)

Sarah (Acoustic)

Tried and True (Acoustic / Mickey on electric)

Zoloft

Dr. Rock

Fat Lenny

Touch My Tooter

Freedom of 76

Ocean Man

The Going Gets Tough From The Getgo

Tick

Frank

You Fucked Up

I'll Be Your Jonny On The Spot

The Mollusk (Mickey: "This song goes out to Les Claypool - wherever he is right now.")

The Blarney Stone

(Approximately 2 hours and 20 minutes)

Encore:

It's Gonna Be A Long Night (w/ Mick Preston on guitar)

Ace of Spades

Booze Me Up And Get Me High

Poopship Destroyer

The boys took the stage around 11:45.

The stage lighting was incredible.

This show rips ass - they were on fire all night. Mickey was fucking unstoppable mangs.

Putting The Final Alarm back into rotation is pretty much the greatest shit ever. It's weird to go from wanting to hear a rare song so badly to getting it 3 shows in a row.

Towards the end of his Pandy solo (which was especially good) Glenn ended up playing a keyboard with his nose just before knocking it off of the keyboard stand onto the stage.

Mickey's new Yamaha acoustic guitar managed to function properly through Mutilated Lips and Birthday Boy....it was shortly after that when it quit working (short in the input jack I believe). He fucked with it for a while (Papa suggested that he smash it), set it down on the stage, disappeared, then eventually re-emerged with his George Harrison Strat in time to lay down a solo during Sarah.

Soon after Mickey smashed the Yamaha against his amplifier, shattering it.

Aaron later picked up some of the pieces and threw the back of the guitar into the audience.

Some guy had a trash bag full of stuffed bunnies and he threw them on the stage early on. Aaron picked them up and set them at various points on the stage.

Mickey's solo during Tried and True was fucking awesome.

During the solo in Frank Mickey walked over to Aaron's pedalboard, adjusted some knobs, and switched on a pedal (which added a watery vibrato effect). They both then simultaneously soloed for several minutes.

After Poopship the band stopped for a minute, then Mickey started playing a slow progression (while calling the changes out to Dave). It was very Georgia On My Mind-ish. Papa eventually approached the microphone and began improvising Poopship-oriented vocals.

I think Mickey's intent may have actually been to play Georgia On My Mind as a tribute to Ray Charles.

Quotes:

"There's nothing better than watching your favorite bands meltdown at 3 am" - Aaron

"This is a song about birth" - Aaron before Back to Basom

Random shit:

A shirtless apparently dosed fucker climbed over the rail and hung out between the rail and the stage. He packed up a one hitter and offered it to Mickey IN THE MIDDLE OF A SONG. He was up there for probably 20 minutes before security even noticed. They then removed him. About 5 minutes later I feel someone shove me from behind - it was him trying to get back up front. A girl next to us pushed him back with her elbow and wouldn't let him up there. He looked surprised and said ""But I was up here before....". She said "Yeah and you kept bumping into me. Back up."

Towards the end of the show this extremely wasted girl stumbled into the front and pushed a bunch of people aside as she did.....the girl I mentioned earlier tried to prevent her from getting on the rail - the wasted girl said "I'VE GOT A KNIFE!". The other girl then let her be.

I can't wait to hear this show again for multiple reasons, one of which is the banter.....just before Poopship Mickey asked "What do you want to hear?".....lots of fuckers screamed POOPSHIP! to which he responded "We've done this and that together, so we can definitely dock the Poopship together" or something to that effect.

And this:

When Preston came up to retrieve Papa's acoustic guitar after Tried And True, Mickey looked at Aaron and said "smash it".

At one point Gener picked up a glowstick and said "Wow...this thing glows."

He then showed it to Claude and said "Look - it's a stick, and it GLOWS!"

He then noticed that it was leaking and said "OH FUCK - IT'S FUCKING LEAKING ON ME!"

Inflatable fuck doll crowd surfed for a while then made it's way onstage (directly in front of Dave) during Ace of Spades - Dave saw her and gave her a good kick, sending her back into the crowd.

She crowd surfed a bit more and then was thrown up on the stage once again close to Dave.....she sat there until Aaron later picked her up and carried her around for a while.

When the band left the stage before the encore Preston picked her up and tried to set her up on Glenn's throne, but she fell over.

Another roadie soon emerged and leaned her up against something.

Papa and Glenn were sitting behind Claude's drum throne during Ace of Spades - Papa tried to throw a glowstick into the crowd, but it hit one of the racks of lights and fell to the stage.

This:

I think Claude tried to kick the inflatable doll off the stage but he ended up tripping over it and walked off the stage shaking his head in disgust...

Definitely my favorite show ever. Crowd was great. The boys were on. The lights were freaking me out. But I almost puked when I saw that guy with the orange glow ring through his nose. He had big ass African plate lips and monster holes in his ear lobes. A little bleached fairy nymph was trotting along behind him through the crowd. Anyone else see him?

And of course this:

I think Claude tried to kick the inflatable doll off the stage but he ended up tripping over it and walked off the stage shaking his head in disgust...

Definitely my favorite show ever. Crowd was great. The boys were on. The lights were freaking me out. But I almost puked when I saw that guy with the orange glow ring through his nose. He had big ass African plate lips and monster holes in his ear lobes. A little bleached fairy nymph was trotting along behind him through the crowd. Anyone else see him?

String Cheese - just wanted to see the gayness and it was very gay.

And Georgia:

"Georgia On My Mind as a tribute to Ray Charles."

Definitely the case..Not sure that they had planned to do Poopship lyrics over it though!

The mud in that tent was nearly as bad as the two main stages...underneath and in front was actually pretty dry.

I was walking to the Cut Chemist show after Primus finished up and cut behind the tent that Ween had played in an hour or so earlier. Aaron was in back by the fence chatting with about 5 fans-including one who was holding the boognish on a stick in the front during the show. It seems like they had been talking to him for awhile, and after they left the kid holding the boognish pole showed me what Aaron had signed-A picture of Mickey playing a guitar that looked like a big cock'n'balls, with, if I remember correctly, the words "Mickey is not my granddaddy" ..

Maybe it's well known but the instrumentation to Poopship is based on a couple of Prince songs one of which is Alphabet City and the other is escaping me. This explains part of why they sang some of the Poopship to the tune of Purple Rain.

Thought this was funny too:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

oh, no-one has said anything about Glenn's homemade outfit. His shirt got soaked on the ride over to the venue, so he took a piece of burlap that was covering the dressing room window and fashioned a new shirt.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i was wondering about that. I had asked why it was Glen was wearing hospitol garments. Turns out it was simply the hotel blinds. Haha!

Glenns still tearin up hotel rooms....Rock and Roll is for Life!

Slight variation in order and content in this setlist:

Buckingham Green

HIV

Spinal

Happy Colored Marbles

Final Alarm

Voodoo lady

zoloft

take me away

you fucked up

reggaejunkiejew

back to basom