Jambands.ca

Rockers to Sing Against Bush

TimmyB

9:09 PM PDT, July 24, 2004

Rockers to Sing Against Bush in Fall Concert Series

By Geoff Boucher, Times Staff Writer

Bruce Springsteen, Neil Young, R.E.M., Pearl Jam and a deep roster of other rock stars will unite for a series of politically minded concerts this fall that will give voice to dissatisfaction with the Bush administration.

The all-star rock show, which is expected to begin in October and target campaign swing states, is in the planning stages but was confirmed by half a dozen music industry sources who spoke on the condition of not being identified.

Insiders disagreed on the unifying rhythm of the celebrity coalition: Some said it is the promise of the John Kerry candidacy but at least one thought it was simply the potential of a Bush re-election. "There is a range of feeling about Kerry," the source said, "but a uniform belief that Bush must go."

The high-profile tour dramatically turns up the volume of the rock scene's role in 2004 politics but it is not the only example of an apparent surge of political commentary among artists. The rock reaction seems all but uniform in its anti-Bush stance, just as in country music there has been a passionate patriotism and support of the president, as exemplified by the songs of Toby Keith.

On MTV, the British dance-pop outfit Faithless has a popular video that shows a teen shipped off to Iraq only to return home wounded and disillusioned. Representing a different generation, Tom Waits and John Fogerty have each recorded songs about Iraq -- for Waits it's the first political song of his four-decade career, for Fogerty it's a return to his Vietnam-era songs such as "Who'll Stop the Rain."

Elsewhere, rapper Sean "P. Diddy" Combs is steering a new voter registration drive and the usually bratty punk-pop band Green Day has announced that their next album will be a political concept piece. Steve Earle has a new album laced with Iraq and Bush songs and even a mocking valentine to presidential adviser Condeleezza Rice while blues player Keb Mo has an upcoming CD of peace sons, including John Lennon's "Imagine" and the Buffalo Springfield's "For What It's Worth."

Introducing political commentary into music is sometimes a risky prospect -- even if it's just a passing reference.

Last weekend, Linda Ronstadt was booed in Las Vegas for praising Bush-nemesis Michael Moore, while Ozzy Osbourne relented to critics and removed concert imagery that showed Bush and Adolf Hitler together on an overhead video screen.

The counterculture mind set and recklessness once at the core of rock music seem in the distant past, Elton John told Interview magazine recently. He said that protest has often given way to strict careerism in a corporate age. "There's an atmosphere of fear in America right now and that is deadly," John said. "Everyone is too career-conscious. They're all too scared. . . . Things have changed."

No single album or song will likely capture the media attention as much as the Springsteen & Co. swing-state concerts, which are expected to be in arenas.

Organizers have been tight-lipped since the discussions of the idea caught the ear of some of the stars in April. At the end of last week, plans were to formally announce the concerts Aug. 4 in New York.

Other artists expected to join the lineup include Earle, the Dave Matthews Band, the Dixie Chicks, Bright Eyes, Ani DeFranco,Death Cab for Cutie and International Noise Conspiracy. There also reports that Bob Dylan and James Taylor also might be part of the bill.

The shows reportedly will benefit several organizations, chief among them Moveon.org, the advocacy group that champions a liberal agenda through grass-roots efforts rooted on the Internet.

The all-star concert-as-activism to raise money for philanthropic or political causes goes back to 1971 with the Concert for Bangladesh and the No Nukes shows of 1980 that also featured Springsteen as well as artists including Jackson Browne, James Taylor and Carly Simon.

Hey MarcO and hamilton, remember out conversation at Rays Boathouse when I said that I could say with confidence that nearly all the artist I listen to are either democrats or they are at least anti-republicans? Here's the start of the list from this article. Neil Young (32 times[x's]seen live), Bob Dylan (20x's), Dave Matthews (10x's), Bruce Springsteen (8x's), Pearl Jam (7x's), R.E.M. (5x's), Steve Earle (4x's), Jackson Browne (3x's), Keb' Mo' (3x's), James Taylor (1x), Tom Waits (1x) and John Forgerty (1x).

What makes me happiest is that Bob Dylan is rumored to be apart of this tour, as Dylan isn't often too open about his political affiliation. Added to this list that I know are openly performing for the democratic party and/or have vot Kerry/Edwards on their websites are Crosby, Stills & Nash (11x's), John Mellencamp (7x's) and Willie Nelson (6x's). As I find out more I'll be adding to this list

I just went to her website and she has a heading "Sheryl Thinks You Should Know..." with a link to a CNN article from Inside Politics entitled "Scientists: Bush administration distorts research"

WASHINGTON (AP) -- President Bush's administration distorts scientific findings and seeks to manipulate experts' advice to avoid information that runs counter to its political beliefs, a private organization of scientists asserted on Wednesday.

So Sheryl Crow (8x's) gets added to the list.

Hey I've never actually have paid to see Sheryl Crow headline, these are all apart of opening for the Eagles, The Concert For The Rock And Roll Hall Fame, Another Roadside Attraction, The Lilith Fair, The Bridge School Benefit and Farm Aid.

And actually I don't know why I'm quantifying it, I like Sheryl Crow. During these shows I've seen her perform "Midnight Rider" with the Allman Brothers Band, "What's Going On" with Los Lobos, "I Shall Be Released" with Sarah McLachlan, "Juanita" with Emmylou Harris, "Surfin U.S.A." with Brian Wilson, Neil Young, Eddie Vedder and Emmylou and "I Shall Be Released" again with Neil, Emmylou, Eddie, Pete Townshend and Roger Daltrey.

She's written some pretty great songs and all her albums are listenable from front to back. Besides anyone who's gotten a Bob Dylan song, "Mississippi" before Dylan even released it, is pretty amazing.

Hey hamilton,

The whole point of this post had nothing to do with Sheryl Crow originally. It had everything to do with the fact that the majority of the artists that I listen to are anti-bush and/or support the democratic party.

Oh, I know - I was just running with the tangent!!

Anyway, back to our regularly scheduled programme: Down with Bush!!!